Robyn

Default Spell check doesn't work in a word template used by multiple users

I have created a word template in office for XP and made it available to
users over our network. The users have read and execute permissions to where
the document is stored. The first person to open it can use spell check, the
second user, who has the template open at the same time as the first, cannot
use spell check.
--
Robyn
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Um9ieW4=?=,

I have created a word template in office for XP and made it available to
users over our network. The users have read and execute permissions to where
the document is stored. The first person to open it can use spell check, the
second user, who has the template open at the same time as the first, cannot
use spell check.

Any error messages involved? If not, how does "no able to use spell-check"
manifest itself?

Have you also given this folder write permissions? Word requires write
permissions in the folder in order to maintain temp files...

Note: I'm cross-posting this to a more appropriate group - word.spelling.grammar

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Robyn

When the first person edits the document, any spelling or grammar errors are
highlighted in the usual way, with red and green wavy lines.

When the second concurrent user edits the document, no errors are
highlighted. If you press F7, it just pops up the message that spell check
has completed checking the document, no other errors are shown.

I'll take a look at the write permissions in the morning and get back to you.
--
Robyn

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Um9ieW4=?=,

I have created a word template in office for XP and made it available to
users over our network. The users have read and execute permissions to where
the document is stored. The first person to open it can use spell check, the
second user, who has the template open at the same time as the first, cannot
use spell check.

Any error messages involved? If not, how does "no able to use spell-check"
manifest itself?

Have you also given this folder write permissions? Word requires write
permissions in the folder in order to maintain temp files...

Note: I'm cross-posting this to a more appropriate group - word.spelling.grammar

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Um9ieW4=?=,

When the first person edits the document, any spelling or grammar errors are
highlighted in the usual way, with red and green wavy lines.

When the second concurrent user edits the document, no errors are
highlighted. If you press F7, it just pops up the message that spell check
has completed checking the document, no other errors are shown.

1. Click an a word one knows is misspelled, then go to Tools/Language/Set
language
- is the correct language selected?
- is the "Do not check spelling or grammar" checkbox activated?

2. Tools/Options/Spelling and Grammar.
- Is the option "Hide spelling error in document" activated?
- If you click Recheck document does running spell check pick up the
misspellings?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Robyn

1. I have asked 4 users to open the same template at the same time, 3 users
had spell check working correctly, 1 didn't.
On the user PC that wasn't working correctly I went to Tools - Language -
Set language. The do not check spelling and grammar was checked. I
unchecked the box and ran spell check, the message appeared to say that spell
check had completed successfully and all text that was marked 'Do not check
for spelling and grammar' was missed. I went back to Tools - Language - set
language and the Do not check for spelling and grammar was checked.

I clicked the default button and said yes to changing the default language
to 'English UK', I then unchecked the do not check etc etc and pressed OK.
Spell check worked correctly.

We then tried again and the same thing happened but with a different user.
Microsoft Office XP has been installed using an SMS package so all installs
are the same.

I'm now more confused than ever........
--
Robyn

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Um9ieW4=?=,

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Um9ieW4=?=,

OK, then we at least know where the problem is coming from ("Do not check
spelling or grammar" is activated.)

If this were always happening on the same machine, then I'd suspect a setting in
the Windows Regional settings, for the language. This was a nasty little
problem with a particular SP for a version of OFfice (SP-1 for 2000, if I
remember correctly, but I could be wrong).

But if it's happening on different machines, with the same document, then I'm
more inclined to suspect an Addin is applying this. (Or a macro virus). Are you
able to get any kind of reproducible steps at all? If yes (a combination of
machine and document where it always happens), try holding down CTRL when
opening the document and see if the problem goes away.

Ah, one other thought? Are these files all being opened through Word's native
File/Open dialog box? Or are you going another route? Or even using some kind of
doc management software?