Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pdgold pdgold is offline

Default first letter in a new line capitalized

When I use Word, the first letter of a new line changes automatically to a
capital letter. How do I turn this off? i.e.
I had nothing but nice things to
Say about Microsoft.
The word SAY is capitalized at the beginning and I can't find where to
change it.
Thanks for a reply
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word is not a typewriter! You need to stop pressing enter at the end of each
line. Word will wrap the text for you and the problem will then not arise.
The capitalization is set from tools autocorrect options capitalize
first letter of sentences. A new paragraph (which is what you get when you
press enter) will always start with a new sentence.

pdgold wrote:
When I use Word, the first letter of a new line changes automatically
to a capital letter. How do I turn this off? i.e.
I had nothing but nice things to
Say about Microsoft.
The word SAY is capitalized at the beginning and I can't find where to
change it.
Thanks for a reply

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

If you press Enter at the end of a line, you create a new paragraph and Word
will capitalize the next character since Word assumes you are starting a new
sentence. Let Word wrap the text - Word will automatically start a new line
when the previous line is full. Only press Enter when you want to start a new
paragraph.

The setting that capitalize letters is "Capitalize first letter of
sentences" in Tools AutoCorrect Options AutoCorrect tab.

See this article for further help on auto formatting:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"pdgold" wrote:

When I use Word, the first letter of a new line changes automatically to a
capital letter. How do I turn this off? i.e.
I had nothing but nice things to
Say about Microsoft.
The word SAY is capitalized at the beginning and I can't find where to
change it.
Thanks for a reply

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And, if you really do want to force a word to be on a new line without it
being capitalized, use Shift+Enter to insert a line break.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"pdgold" wrote in message
When I use Word, the first letter of a new line changes automatically to a
capital letter. How do I turn this off? i.e.
I had nothing but nice things to
Say about Microsoft.
The word SAY is capitalized at the beginning and I can't find where to
change it.
Thanks for a reply

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You may also find this tutorial useful:
http://shaunakelly.com/word/concepts...ion/index.html

It explains this and other common confusions for the very new user of Word.

pdgold wrote:
Thank you all for the reply.