Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamela Denchfield Pamela Denchfield is offline

Default tables: automatically set header and body row styles?

When I select a table style, the border, row, and column properties are
automatically set, but any text I type into the table is "Normal."

As I develop a template for others' use, how can I enforce table-specific
formatting?
--
Thanks,
Pamela Denchfield
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You can modify the font of the table style, but note that this doesn't
necessarily work properly (see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/tablestyles/index.html).

Instead, apply the appropriate paragraph styles to the (text of) the heading
row.

If you frequently format tables in a certain manner, you may want to create
an AutoText based on a table with the desired table formatting and paragraph
styles already applied.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pamela Denchfield" wrote:

When I select a table style, the border, row, and column properties are
automatically set, but any text I type into the table is "Normal."

As I develop a template for others' use, how can I enforce table-specific
formatting?
--
Thanks,
Pamela Denchfield

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamela Denchfield Pamela Denchfield is offline

Given the limited utility of table styles, how can I best approach ensuring
consistent look-and-feel of tables in documents produced from a widely
distributed template?

Perhaps Quick Tables? If so, is there a way to disallow other ways of
inserting tables for those who use my template?

--
Thanks,
Pamela Denchfield

"Pamela Denchfield" wrote:

When I select a table style, the border, row, and column properties are
automatically set, but any text I type into the table is "Normal."

As I develop a template for others' use, how can I enforce table-specific
formatting?
--
Thanks,
Pamela Denchfield

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamela Denchfield Pamela Denchfield is offline

Excuse this additional message. I found it necessary to reply once more so I
could check the box for automatic reply notification.

"Pamela Denchfield" wrote:

When I select a table style, the border, row, and column properties are
automatically set, but any text I type into the table is "Normal."

As I develop a template for others' use, how can I enforce table-specific
formatting?
--
Thanks,
Pamela Denchfield

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Yes, you can use Quick Tables; just like AutoTexts, Quick Tables are a kind
of Building Blocks.

I don't see a good way to force users to make use of Quick Tables, though.
As far as I know, whenever a document allows you to use Quick Tables, it
also allows you to manually format a table. Perhaps you could control this
with a macro (ask in a programming newsgroup such as
microsoft.public.word.vba.general), but you may not find it worth the
effort.

Instead, teach the users how to insert the Quick Table. To simplify the task
for them, you could assign a keyboard shortcut to it (via Word Options,
Customize category).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Pamela Denchfield" wrote:

When I select a table style, the border, row, and column properties
are
automatically set, but any text I type into the table is "Normal."

As I develop a template for others' use, how can I enforce
table-specific
formatting?
--
Thanks,
Pamela Denchfield

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamela Denchfield Pamela Denchfield is offline

The issue I'm worried about is inadvertent misformatting by inserting tables
"the old-fashioned way" (from Word 2003 - Insert Table) and then simply
typing into them, which produces "Normal" style text. From your reply I take
it that the only way to avoid this inadvertent misformatting of text in a new
table is to use a Quick Table. Is that right?
--
Thanks,
Pamela Denchfield

"Pamela Denchfield" wrote:

When I select a table style, the border, row, and column properties
are
automatically set, but any text I type into the table is "Normal."

As I develop a template for others' use, how can I enforce
table-specific
formatting?
--
Thanks,
Pamela Denchfield

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

A custom Quick Table (or just an ordinary AutoText entry containing a table)
will provide the formatting and/or contents that you want, but you can never
prevent users from making changes if they are determined to do so.