sylvaticus

Default Why are autotext entries gone after every shutdown?

I created an autotext.dot and toolbars.dot template to store my autotext
entries and toolbar configurations. I stored them in my \STARTUP directory,
and if I click on Tools...Templates & Add-Ins, I see they are there, so the
templates are not in the wrong directory and Word is finding them upon
launch. If I shut down Word and relaunch it, the entries are still there and
work as expected. However, every time I shut down my PC and relaunch, the
entries are missing.

I'm using WinXP and Office 2003 on a new, two month old laptop and I have
all current updates and SP2, and I am logged in with full administration
rights.

As a side note, because it may be the same problem (?), when I create a new
email (I use Word as my editor), the toolbars are in awful positions, and
when I move them around and start a new email, my changes don't matter.

This has been going on forever (since before my laptop with mail tool bars,
and since my laptop with the autotext entries). I really hope someone can
help me or point me in the right direction. Searching MS Support and Google
have turned up nothing that has helped.

Thank you and best regards,

Keith

sylvaticus

Suzanne,

Thank you! I am most grateful for your assistance! I do indeed have Acrobat
7 installed. I don't recall this happening on my desktop PC, but that's an
unreliable memory!

However, since I have created autotext.dot and toolbars.dot templates for my
\STARTUP folder, it seems that it shouldn't matter what Acrobat is or or
isn't allowing in the normal.dot since I'm not making changes there any more,
right?

Also, I'm not sure if this would be causing my problems with Outlook's email
toolbars, though since I use Word as my mail editor, I guess it probably is,
eh? Although, it's beyond me how I could save changes to a template in the
email?

Maybe I just need to reread the link you sent me because I missed something,
but if there is any further insight into this problem I would love to hear it.

If not, please accept my sincerest thanks!

Best regards,

Keith

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have Acrobat 7 installed, see the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

sylvaticus

If I might add:

I can't find PDFMaker.dot in the Templates and Add-ins, so perhaps something
is going on there?

Also, I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I moved all my
templates (and their default locations on the File Locations document) to the
D: drive off my C: drive (for quick and easy restore and backups, etc). The
only template on C: is the normal.dot template. Perhaps I should delete it or
move it too (though I suspect Word will just create a new one?)?

Keith

Acrobat 7 doesn't use PDFMaker.dot; it installs a COM add-in instead.

Word will look for Normal.dot in whatever location you have specified for
User Templates on the File Locations tab of Tools | Options. It might be a
good idea to make sure that Word is also pointed to the right path for your
Startup folder.

"sylvaticus" wrote in message
If I might add:

I can't find PDFMaker.dot in the Templates and Add-ins, so perhaps

something
is going on there?

Also, I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I moved all my
templates (and their default locations on the File Locations document) to

the
D: drive off my C: drive (for quick and easy restore and backups, etc).

The
only template on C: is the normal.dot template. Perhaps I should delete it

or
move it too (though I suspect Word will just create a new one?)?

Keith

Graham Mayor

My guess is that the Acrobat add-in is even more destructive than was first
thought. Disable it as indicated on my web page, and if the problem goes
away, howl your protest at Adobe. They can never seem to get their add-ins
working cooperatively and this one needs fixing. They charge enough for the
damned program to make this unacceptable. Let us know if disabling the
add-in fixes it.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have Acrobat 7 installed, see the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

newsgroup so all may benefit.

sylvaticus

I added the COM add-in to my menu, and Adobe is not listed. What the heck? I
have the toolbar, and I can click on it to create PDFs from Word docs, but
there is no add-in!

I do have all my paths listed correctly as far as I can tell (barring
something so glaringly obvious it's invisible! ;-)

Keith

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

sylvaticus

It very well may have done something. Sadly, there is nothing for me to
disable! There is nothing listed under Templates and add-ins, and there is
nothing under COM add-ins! I have the tool bar buttons for Adobe, but how
could there be no COM add-ins to uncheck?

Keith

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you have Acrobat 7 installed, see the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

newsgroup so all may benefit.

DonnaG

QUESTION/NOTE: If you disable the Adobe Acrobat PDF Maker toolbar, how do
you make a PDF file that includes the table of contents and other references
as bookmarks? When I use the File/Print/Adobe PDF method, the bookmarks that
normally appear using PDFMaker don't show up.