Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RLCheek2007 RLCheek2007 is offline

Default Failure to open Word 2003 documents in Word 2007

When I try to open a Word 2003 document, I get a File Conversion popup that
asks me to choose an encoding that makes the text readible. The text is
displayed as garbage. None of the listed encoding choices is Word 2007.
When I run the Compatibility Checker, it doesn't find any problems. I've
tried saving the document in 2003 format and then reopening the file but I
get the File Conversion popup again.
What am I doing wrong?
All my saved documents are in Word 2003 format. If I can't get 2007 to read
them, I've wasted a lot of money.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi R.L.,

Are you saving to your hard drive, network drive, removable drive?

Can you open the same document in Windows WordPad?

Generally, if you're getting the file conversion prompt Word isn't recognizing the file as a Word document.

Have you run Office 2007 diagnostics from inside of Word?

Office Button=Word Options=Resources?

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP