Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C Csonka C Csonka is offline

Default Indexes - Updating - Help!

I have a multi-file document (about 15 chapters, 3-300 pages each) which is
connected to a Word index with the "{XE...}" index codes. I updated the
individual documents and now need to update the index. The procedure listed
in Word's on-line help... "Click to the left of the index anf hit F9"... does
not seem to do ANYTHING. Is it possible to update this type of index, and if
so, what is the procedure? Would I be better off simply creating a new
index? Can an index documant be created from multiple tagged files? Thank
you!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C Csonka C Csonka is offline

Suzanne,

I did not create these documents; I was hired to update them... Having said
that, the documents all contain those Microsoft Index Entry "XE" tags or
codes. The index seems contain the terms that have been marked with these
codes. At the risk of exposing my ignorance, i don't know what you men by an
"RD" field... Are we talking about the same thing? Does that clarify thingas?

Thank you,
Chris Csonka
Columbia, MD

"C Csonka" C wrote in message
I have a multi-file document (about 15 chapters, 3-300 pages each) which

is
connected to a Word index with the "{XE...}" index codes. I updated the
individual documents and now need to update the index. The procedure

listed
in Word's on-line help... "Click to the left of the index anf hit F9"...

does
not seem to do ANYTHING. Is it possible to update this type of index, and

if
so, what is the procedure? Would I be better off simply creating a new
index? Can an index documant be created from multiple tagged files? Thank
you!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C Csonka C Csonka is offline

Hi,

Either I am not doing this right, I need more explicit directions, or that
functionality simply DOES NOT WORK. As I stated in my original post, I
followed the MS Help directions, as far as I could tell, clicking in the
Index file, clicking in the document file that contain the XE {...} Index
Entry codes, etc. I have clicked and clicked on F9... it seems to have no
effect... Is there something ELSE that has to happen first? Does some
setting have to be in place or disabled? Any further information woulf be
helpful! Thank you!

Chris Csonka
Columbia, MD

C Csonka wrote:

I have a multi-file document (about 15 chapters, 3-300 pages each) which is
connected to a Word index with the "{XE...}" index codes. I updated the
individual documents and now need to update the index. The procedure listed
in Word's on-line help... "Click to the left of the index anf hit F9"... does
not seem to do ANYTHING. Is it possible to update this type of index, and if
so, what is the procedure? Would I be better off simply creating a new
index? Can an index documant be created from multiple tagged files? Thank
you!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The separate file that contains the index must be constructed with RD fields
if you want to be able to update it; see
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/P...cle.asp?ID=148 for how it
works with TOCs.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

How is the index "connected" to the documents? Was it constructed with

RD
fields?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.