Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shana

Default How do I create a toc from multiple documents in Word 2002?

I've looked at the Help documentation, and the information at:
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/P...cle.asp?ID=148 -- however,
none of it has helped.

When I create a separate toc file, and ctrl-f9, I see a blank RD field. If I
type "RD#" [# being a space], the field just disappears. Completely.

The link above indicates the first RD field will appear like "{ TOC \o "1-3"
\h \z }". In addition, it also indicates the proper formatting for the field
is "{ RD \f chapter1.doc }" instead of just including the filename. Other
information I've seen indicates that if the toc file and the source files are
in the same folder, you just need to include the filename, without the path
to the file.

Finally, it's not clear if the link above is specific to Word 2003, or will
also work with Word 2002. I have Word 2002.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

The RD field has to provide Word with enough information to find the file to
be referenced. Which means (obviously, I would have thought) that if the
file is not in a the current folder, you need to include an absolute or
relative path.

RD fields display no output. They just provide the content for the TOC.
Press Alt-F9 to see field codes.

You need to enter the TOC field separately, directly using Insert Field,
or using Insert Reference Tables.

"Shana" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shana

All of my files are in a single folder.

I did realize I needed to turn on the ability to see the field codes, with
the PP button.

However, I've tried both including and not including the file path, and it
still does not work. My filenames include spaces, and I've tried both with
and without quotes (including without smart quotes), and it still doesn't
work.

I continually receive an error message when I try to create my toc. It says:

"The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions. *check the
file permissions for the document or drive. *use the file open dialog box to
locate the document"

I've looked at the full paths for the files, and I know I entered those
correctly. However, it seems obvious to me that if I am creating the toc file
in the folder with the documents to be referenced, then I don't need to
include the paths. Is this incorrect?

"Shana" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

You need the \f switch if the path is relative; otherwise include the full
path. Apart from that, I'm at a loss.

"Shana" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon

The PP button does not show field codes. Try Alt-F9 (and again to turn their
display off).
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.