Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
kikilein kikilein is offline

Default Shading in Table behaves strange

Hi All,

I have a table (XP, Word 2003) and I want to shade the cells in the top row
gray. Although 3 of the five cells are completely gray two of them have a
little bit of white space in the buttom. Also, I noticed that when I
highlight the text in the top row there is white space above the highlighted
tex as if there was cell padding turned on. The same seems to be on the left
side of the hightlighted text, but on the right side the highlight goes flush
to the cell wall.

There are no margins set for the cells and I have made sure that when I
hightlighted the two problem cells and went to Borders and Shading that I
choose to shade the CELL. It is driving me nuts.

Thank you all.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Maybe you will find more things to check he
http://thedoctools.com/index.php?show=wt_cell_shading

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"kikilein" wrote:

Hi All,

I have a table (XP, Word 2003) and I want to shade the cells in the top row
gray. Although 3 of the five cells are completely gray two of them have a
little bit of white space in the buttom. Also, I noticed that when I
highlight the text in the top row there is white space above the highlighted
tex as if there was cell padding turned on. The same seems to be on the left
side of the hightlighted text, but on the right side the highlight goes flush
to the cell wall.

There are no margins set for the cells and I have made sure that when I
hightlighted the two problem cells and went to Borders and Shading that I
choose to shade the CELL. It is driving me nuts.

Thank you all.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
kikilein kikilein is offline

thank you very much for your response, Lene.

The link you sent me has incredible information. I resolved the problem by
applying a bottom margin of .1" to the cells in that row (when I set it to
0" it would still show the white space). After I applied it there was no
more white space..

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

All the best

"kikilein" wrote:

Hi All,

I have a table (XP, Word 2003) and I want to shade the cells in the top row
gray. Although 3 of the five cells are completely gray two of them have a
little bit of white space in the buttom. Also, I noticed that when I
highlight the text in the top row there is white space above the highlighted
tex as if there was cell padding turned on. The same seems to be on the left
side of the hightlighted text, but on the right side the highlight goes flush
to the cell wall.

There are no margins set for the cells and I have made sure that when I
hightlighted the two problem cells and went to Borders and Shading that I
choose to shade the CELL. It is driving me nuts.

Thank you all.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Thank you for the feedback. I am glad your problem is solved. I created the
article one day I decided to find out how many different settings I could
find that resulted in white space in table cells €“ and as you have seen,
there are several combinations of which some are quite tricky. There may be
even more combinations that I did not find.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"kikilein" wrote:

Hi All,

I have a table (XP, Word 2003) and I want to shade the cells in the top row
gray. Although 3 of the five cells are completely gray two of them have a
little bit of white space in the buttom. Also, I noticed that when I
highlight the text in the top row there is white space above the highlighted
tex as if there was cell padding turned on. The same seems to be on the left
side of the hightlighted text, but on the right side the highlight goes flush
to the cell wall.

There are no margins set for the cells and I have made sure that when I
hightlighted the two problem cells and went to Borders and Shading that I
choose to shade the CELL. It is driving me nuts.

Thank you all.

Strange table formatting when hiding gridlines LBrown Tables 2 November 27th 07 01:04 PM
merge to xmas label template behaves strangely lizz1007 Mailmerge 1 December 14th 06 04:43 AM
Strange Table in Word Jitty Tables 3 August 9th 06 02:00 PM
Word 2003 table shading removes shading on its own krohlfing Tables 3 January 15th 06 09:48 PM
StatusBar command behaves differently in template? Cindy M -WordMVP- New Users 0 December 4th 04 04:01 PM