Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] riverLYNX@gmail.com is offline

Default Help! -- MS Office 2003 -- Rt Click Dialog Box Paste to Save FileName

Office 2003 , Word, Excel --

I am a Disabled War Vet and use the computer and the Internet every
day for various research. I use a “Wireless Mouse” and an “On Screen
Keyboard” in place of the normal Keyboard most of the time. I often
make notes and copy text and images from Wikipedia encyclopedia, etc;
I then paste various (Legal Free Use) text and images into MS Notepad
and Paint.

If I decide to keep a copy of certain information; I save a MS
Notepad and/or Paint document by: selecting desirable “Key Word(s)”
with the mouse then “Right-Click” to copy my selection then “Left-
Click” File Save As and then in the ensuing Blank “File Name:
Dialog Box” [ I “Right-Click”, and paste the previously copied
selection ] -- thereby saving the file with a meaningful label. This
is very easy and I do it all the time, using many programs off and on
the Internet.

My VERITABLE QUANDARY.
My terrible aggravating longstanding problem is that I cannot do this
natural procedure in Microsoft Office 2003, Word, Excel, etc. When I
go to “Right-click” the Blank “File Name: Dialog Box” – the “Right-
Click” does nothing! It is disabled, and I need to overcome this one
too.

As it is -- I have to set everything down, and reach for the Physical
Keyboard – and then make an awkward for me, "CTRL-V" -- to paste the
text that I want for a File name. If I can do this using MS Notepad,
or Paint and countless other programs – I sure should be able to do it
in the M$ Office Programs.

I’ll guess that fixing this will be embarrassingly very easy – but it
escapes me how – please, will some kind and knowledgeable person help
me out as very soon as possible?

If you know of a better place to ask about this, please post that too.

Thanks & Peace
Stanford
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com Doug Robbins - Word MVP on news.microsoft.com is offline

I do not know if upgrading to Word 2007 is an option for you, but in that
version, when you right click in the File Name control of the FileSaveAs
dialog, a shortcut menu does appear that does include the Paste option.

If that is not an option, if you can create a macro that contains the
following code and assign it to a button on a toolbar, it will save the
active document with the filename of the the information that is on the
clipboard:

Dim MyData As DataObject

Set MyData = New DataObject
MyData.GetFromClipboard
ActiveDocument.SaveAs MyData.GetText

Or, if you want the opportunity to see the SaveAs dialog, you could use

Dim MyData As DataObject

Set MyData = New DataObject
MyData.GetFromClipboard
With Dialogs(wdDialogFileSummaryInfo)
.Title = MyData.GetText
.Execute
End With

Then when you use File SaveAs, the data that was on the clipboard will
appear as the suggested name for the document.

For both of these macros to work, in the VBA editor, you will need to go to
Tools, References, and set a reference to the "Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object
Library"

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.