Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lpicka lpicka is offline

Default How can I create a table of contents in in a table format?

I currently have a table in my document that lists a bunch of e-mail messages
showing a summary. It contains the subject in one column and a few other
details in other columns. I want to add a page number column also and then
link the page number down to a section in my document that has all the
details about the e-mail message. I'd like to actually use a table of
contents type of a feature to accomplish this so that in my cell that says
"subject", that would actually display the Heading (subject of my e-mail
message) from my details section below and then the page number column would
display the page that the heading (e-mail message subject) is on. That way
someone can use that summary table as a table of contents and it functions
for when using it electronically (click and it links right to document) or if
it is printed (displays the printed page number they can go to). If I change
a heading below down in my details or if they move to different pages, then i
can simply just say "update TOC" and it will update my whole summary table.
I realize I can accomplish this with bookmarks or cross references but it
will take a long time to build. I have hundreds of messages. Does anyone
have other ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You cannot create a table of contents in table format in Word (with the
exception, of course, that a table of contents can be placed in a *table
cell*).

Maybe someone can create a macro that does what you want. You may want to
ask in a programming newsgroup such as microsoft.public.word.vba.general.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"lpicka" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lpicka lpicka is offline

I was hoping that wasn't the answer I was going to get! Bummer! I'll try
the other newsgroup. Thanks!!!

"lpicka" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is simple enough to convert a table of contents to a table using a macro,
but it will no longer be an updatable TOC, so if you may need to make
changes later you should work with a copy of the document

Sub TOCtoTable()
Dim oRng As Range
ActiveDocument.TablesOfContents(1).Update
Set oRng = ActiveDocument.TablesOfContents(1).Range
With oRng
.Fields.Unlink
.ConvertToTable vbTab
.Font.Reset
End With
End Sub

"lpicka" wrote in message
[...]

create header and table of contents Ted New Users 1 May 23rd 06 05:48 PM
table of contents format TJ Tables 4 January 27th 06 06:38 PM
how to get contents in table with format Jed Tables 0 November 1st 05 09:49 AM
I need to format a table of contents CLo Tables 5 April 12th 05 11:42 PM
Format of Table of Contents Russell Brook Page Layout 6 December 20th 04 04:38 PM