Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
therese1216

Default HOW DO I UNLOCK A "read only" document?

We just bought a new computer. I went and typed a document for work in word
and saved it on a disk. When I went back to it a couple of hours later, I get
a read only message when I attempt to save my changes. I've followed the
steps that windows gives in response to my question on how to remove "read
only" with no sucess. Can anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you saved to a CD, then the file is read-only by default, even after
you've copied it back to the HD. You can clear the read-only property from
the file on your HD but not on the CD. If you're trying to save directly to
the CD, then that's part of the problem. Save to the HD, then copy to the
CD.

"therese1216" wrote in message
We just bought a new computer. I went and typed a document for work in

word
and saved it on a disk. When I went back to it a couple of hours later, I

get
a read only message when I attempt to save my changes. I've followed the
steps that windows gives in response to my question on how to remove "read
only" with no sucess. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

See the article "I keep getting files that I am working on locked for
editing. Word only allows me to open them read-only" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/LockedFiles.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"therese1216" wrote in message
We just bought a new computer. I went and typed a document for work in
word
and saved it on a disk. When I went back to it a couple of hours later, I
get
a read only message when I attempt to save my changes. I've followed the
steps that windows gives in response to my question on how to remove "read
only" with no sucess. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
therese1216

Hi Suzanne,
Thank you for that bit of advice. I had a lot of work for the office that I
needed to be able to download and print once I got back to work. My only
problem now is that my disk is filling up with documents that are only
read-only. What do I do about that?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you saved to a CD, then the file is read-only by default, even after
you've copied it back to the HD. You can clear the read-only property from
the file on your HD but not on the CD. If you're trying to save directly to
the CD, then that's part of the problem. Save to the HD, then copy to the
CD.

"therese1216" wrote in message
We just bought a new computer. I went and typed a document for work in

word
and saved it on a disk. When I went back to it a couple of hours later, I

get
a read only message when I attempt to save my changes. I've followed the
steps that windows gives in response to my question on how to remove "read
only" with no sucess. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There's really no way around this. Files saved to a CD are read-only by
definition.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you saved to a CD, then the file is read-only by default, even after
you've copied it back to the HD. You can clear the read-only property

from
the file on your HD but not on the CD. If you're trying to save directly

the CD, then that's part of the problem. Save to the HD, then copy to

the
CD.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"therese1216" wrote in message
We just bought a new computer. I went and typed a document for work

in
word
and saved it on a disk. When I went back to it a couple of hours

later, I
get
a read only message when I attempt to save my changes. I've followed

the
steps that windows gives in response to my question on how to remove

"read
only" with no sucess. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What do you mean by 'just bought'. Is this Word 2007 pre-installed on a new
PC? If so it will almost certainly be a trial version. Either that trial has
now expired because you have used it more times than you thought, or you
have not activated it. In the case of the former you will have to buy the
application. In the case of the latter Office Button (looks like a pizza)
Word Options Resources Activate

i AM USING microsoft Word Office wrote:
"therese1216" wrote:

We just bought a new computer. I went and typed a document for work
in word and saved it on a disk. When I went back to it a couple of
hours later, I get a read only message when I attempt to save my
changes. I've followed the steps that windows gives in response to
my question on how to remove "read only" with no sucess. Can anyone
help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

What do you mean by, 'saved it to disk'. Do you mean the internal hard disk
drive?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP