Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MatthewS MatthewS is offline

Default replacing arrow for the autocorrect of " -- "

For whatever reason, I often find that whereas previously I was able to
type: -- in Word, and it would auto correct to the normal arrow that Word
is, as far as I know, normally installed with as the default.

I have done the steps that, to me, seem the standard attempts to try, such
as turning off and then on the auto corrections.

The only recourse I have is to pick an arrow out of the list of them and use
that one, but I'd like to be able to use the original one.

Does anyone know it's number [that I can use to key it in], or anything else
I can do?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

First of all, go to ToolsAutoCorrect Options & make sure there is a check
in the box for 'Replace text as you type'. If so, type -- into the
'Replace:' box & see if the arrow item appears in the list.

If it *isn't* in the AutoCorrect List the easiest way to replace it is to
close out of AutoCorrect Options & go to InsertSymbol. Select Wingdings
from the Font List & type 224 into the 'Character Code:' field. The
highlight will jump directly to the arrow you want. Then click the
AutoCorrect button, type the triggering characters (--) into the 'Replace:'
box, then click the Add button & OK out.

If this doesn't correct the problem, post back with your results.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"MatthewS" wrote in message

For whatever reason, I often find that whereas previously I was able to
type: -- in Word, and it would auto correct to the normal arrow that
Word
is, as far as I know, normally installed with as the default.

I have done the steps that, to me, seem the standard attempts to try, such
as turning off and then on the auto corrections.

The only recourse I have is to pick an arrow out of the list of them and
use
that one, but I'd like to be able to use the original one.

Does anyone know it's number [that I can use to key it in], or anything
else
I can do?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MatthewS MatthewS is offline

Thank you. Wingdings 224 answered it... I was always looking for that arrow
in Arial/TNR.

Thanks.