Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Danny Danny is offline

Default unlock master/subdocument

My PhD dissertation was created some years ago in Word 2003 as a master
document with subdocuments.

I now tried to open this in Word 2007 (fully activated copy), and though the
master document opens, it will not open the subdocuments, claiming that
"at least one subdocument or the master document is locked. No changes were
made to any locked parts of this master document".

The only kind of protection I see in Word 2007 is the protect document
function, according to which all my documents have unrestricted access. In
the "master document" section of the oulining ribbon there is nothing in the
way of lock/unlock features. I tried to find some obscure tool in the
customize section of Word options, but no luck.

Any help would be appreciated.
Danny
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The master document in Word has been broken in all versions and is a source
of document corruption. I would advise that you don't use it.
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm

"Danny" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Danny Danny is offline

Graham,

First of all, thanks for taking the trouble to reply on Christmas day.
Second, I do not plan to use master documents again, but in order to
preserve all the formatting in this work, I'd like to be able to open it
again fully, and then save it as one single document. I guess I'll try to
open it on a machine with Word 2003 and do it there.

thanks again,

Danny

.