Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deb deb is offline

Default If not Master Document, then what?

So, I concede that the Master Document feature is a risk. So, what is the
alternative to create a large document based on many small documents?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Just create a single large document.

"Deb" wrote in message
So, I concede that the Master Document feature is a risk. So, what is the
alternative to create a large document based on many small documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deb deb is offline

But what about re-use? The content of the large document is really smaller
documents that needs to be re-used across multiple large documents.

"Deb" wrote in message
So, I concede that the Master Document feature is a risk. So, what is the
alternative to create a large document based on many small documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hasn't IncludeText already been suggested?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Just create a single large document.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Deb" wrote in message
So, I concede that the Master Document feature is a risk. So, what is

the
alternative to create a large document based on many small documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deb deb is offline

Interesting. I have never used that field before. In experimenting with it,
I keep getting the error: Error! Not a Valid Filename. The file will always
be in the same directory as the file in which the FIELD will reside, so I am
just entering the filename as filename.doc.

Now how does this differ from Master Document? The Help feature indicates
you can also push updates back to the source file by using the Ctrl + Shift +
F7 keystroke.

"Deb" wrote in message
So, I concede that the Master Document feature is a risk. So, what is

the
alternative to create a large document based on many small documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deb deb is offline

Suzanne:

I have experimented with this field and find that the resulting formatting
is inconsistent at best. For example, if I'm inserting a file that begins
with Heading 1 style followed by a body style, sometimes the files are
inserted with the body style being replaced with the Heading 1 style or vice
versa. It's all very inconsistent and erratic.

Are there any "best practices" to follow when using this field to avoid the
resulting unformatting of the final document?

Thanks for your help.

"Deb" wrote in message
So, I concede that the Master Document feature is a risk. So, what is

the
alternative to create a large document based on many small documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Standard workarounds for people who wanted Master Documents (and I don't
see how Master Document is an appropriate feature for re-using content
anyhow--a subdocument belonging to multiple master documents sounds
either impossible or extra-prone to corruption):

IncludeText Fields can partially substitute for the Master Document
feature€”for an introduction to them, see he
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFm...textfields.htm

Word experts generally advise combining long documents into one file, if
possible, and you will find more information on controlling those big
files he
http://daiya.mvps.org/bookword.htm

Creating a Table of Contents Spanning Multiple Documents

See the €śNumber Pages Across Files€ť section at this link:
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MiscFram.htm

Deb wrote:
So, I concede that the Master Document feature is a risk. So, what is the
alternative to create a large document based on many small documents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
deb deb is offline

Thank you, Daiya.

I have to admit, I had never looked into Word's Master Document feature
until last nigh and was horrified to see that the documents were actually
part of the Master, not links like they used to be in WordPerfect. My
"concept" of Master Document comes from WordPerfect, which had it nailed.

I will read up further on the links you provide.

THanks again.