Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patty Patty is offline

Default Clicked "Save" instead of "Save As" and need to recover original

I meant to click "Save As" but clicked "Save" by mistake. Is there a way to
recover the original document? I tried "Versions" under the File menu but
nothing appears. All suggestions are appreciated
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Clicked "Save" instead of "Save As" and need to recover original

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you accidentally saved over your original document. Don't worry, there are a few things you can try to recover it.
  1. Check the Recycle Bin/Trash: If you're using a Windows computer, check your Recycle Bin. If you're using a Mac, check your Trash. If you find the original document there, simply right-click on it and select "Restore" or drag it back to your desktop.
  2. Use the "Recover Unsaved Documents" featu In Microsoft Word, go to the "File" tab and select "Open." In the bottom right corner of the window, click on "Recover Unsaved Documents." This will bring up a list of any unsaved documents that Word has automatically saved. Look for the one that matches the name of your original document and select it. If you're lucky, this may be the version you're looking for.
  3. Check for previous versions: If you have the "AutoRecover" feature turned on in Word, it may have saved a previous version of your document. To check for this, go to the "File" tab and select "Info." Click on "Manage Document" and then "Recover Unsaved Documents." Look for the one that matches the name of your original document and select it.
  4. Use a file recovery tool: If none of the above options work, you may need to use a file recovery tool. There are many free and paid options available online, such as Recuva or EaseUS Data Recovery. These tools scan your computer for deleted or lost files and attempt to recover them.

I hope one of these options helps you recover your original document.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

If the doc has not been *closed* since you saved you can use Undo to go as
far back as necessary. If the doc has been closed I'm afraid you're out of
luck.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/10/06 5:33 PM, in article
, "Patty"
wrote:

I meant to click "Save As" but clicked "Save" by mistake. Is there a way to
recover the original document? I tried "Versions" under the File menu but
nothing appears. All suggestions are appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to this, Versions gets used only if you explicitly turn it on. It's
not automatic.

The only other possible salvation would be if you had "Always create backup
copy" enabled, in which case, there will be a file named Backup of
{filename}.wbk in the same folder as the original file (unless you've
already overwritten it as well).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
.. .

wrote:

I meant to click "Save As" but clicked "Save" by mistake. Is there a way
recover the original document? I tried "Versions" under the File menu
but
nothing appears. All suggestions are appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patty Patty is offline

Default Clicked "Save" instead of "Save As" and need to recover origin

Thank you for your speedy response.

wrote:

I meant to click "Save As" but clicked "Save" by mistake. Is there a way to
recover the original document? I tried "Versions" under the File menu but
nothing appears. All suggestions are appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patty Patty is offline

Thanks for the clarification.

Miracle of miracles, I actually backed up all my documents very recently and
have a copy of the document I need!

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

To add to this, Versions gets used only if you explicitly turn it on. It's
not automatic.

The only other possible salvation would be if you had "Always create backup
copy" enabled, in which case, there will be a file named Backup of
{filename}.wbk in the same folder as the original file (unless you've
already overwritten it as well).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
.. .

wrote:

I meant to click "Save As" but clicked "Save" by mistake. Is there a way
recover the original document? I tried "Versions" under the File menu
but
nothing appears. All suggestions are appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Wow. This might be the first time I've ever seen that happen. ;-)

Congratulations. I'll bet you're doing another backup right now... right?

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

To add to this, Versions gets used only if you explicitly turn it on.
It's
not automatic.

The only other possible salvation would be if you had "Always create
backup
copy" enabled, in which case, there will be a file named Backup of
{filename}.wbk in the same folder as the original file (unless you've
already overwritten it as well).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
.. .

wrote:

I meant to click "Save As" but clicked "Save" by mistake. Is there a
way
recover the original document? I tried "Versions" under the File menu
but
nothing appears. All suggestions are appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I was thinking that exact same thing. *No one* has ever posted back that
they found a back up.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

To add to this, Versions gets used only if you explicitly turn it on.
It's
not automatic.

The only other possible salvation would be if you had "Always create
backup
copy" enabled, in which case, there will be a file named Backup of
{filename}.wbk in the same folder as the original file (unless you've
already overwritten it as well).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com