Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
katnco

Default double spacing between words on Word2002

I'm an aspiring writer who has just discovered (after writing a first book of
200+ pages) that the words need to be double-spaced for the
editors/publishers!!! Is it possible to select the whole doc. and change the
settings or am I doomed to sit for hours clicking and stabbing at the space
bar? Thanx
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Luc

Katnco,
Just do a search and replace, search for one space and replace with two. You
can find replace in the Edit menu.

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)

"katnco" u22563@uwe schreef in bericht news:6128481b90226@uwe...
I'm an aspiring writer who has just discovered (after writing a first book
of
200+ pages) that the words need to be double-spaced for the
editors/publishers!!! Is it possible to select the whole doc. and change
the
settings or am I doomed to sit for hours clicking and stabbing at the
space
bar? Thanx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor

Are you sure it isn't the lines they want double spaced? That would be a
paragraph format setting.
If it is the Words then a wildcard replace of

([ ]{1})([! ])
with
\1\1\2

will double up all single spaces.

katnco wrote:
I'm an aspiring writer who has just discovered (after writing a first
book of 200+ pages) that the words need to be double-spaced for the
editors/publishers!!! Is it possible to select the whole doc. and
change the settings or am I doomed to sit for hours clicking and
stabbing at the space bar? Thanx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

katnco wrote:

I'm an aspiring writer who has just discovered (after writing a first book of
200+ pages) that the words need to be double-spaced for the
editors/publishers!!! Is it possible to select the whole doc. and change the
settings or am I doomed to sit for hours clicking and stabbing at the space
bar? Thanx

Mate! You almost certainly do NOT want to double space words; you must
double space LINES! Working as a professional editor I always need
double spaced (or even 1.5) lines but NEVER words! In Word 2000 I would
use edit | select all, then format | paragraph | line spacing (drop down
box) choose double | OK. Some better word experts will probably have
better ideas (I'm a relative newbie to Word).

With respect, discovering so late in the process that you needed double
line spaces suggests you may have neglected some other essential
homework before embarking on your journey of creation. I suggest you
buy/borrow at least one text on how to get published, and by the way do
prepare to be disappointed. There are thousands of unsolicited
manuscripts a week that never make it - on the other hand don't let me
put you off: some do!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'll second everything said. As an editor I have never
seen a requirement for double spacing between words. It might be that some
publishers would require two spaces after a period or colon (that's a whole
nother ball of wax), but I strongly suspect that double-spaced lines are
what is required.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

wrote in message ...
katnco wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Thanks for the agreement Suzanne! In my experience most publishers do
not want double spaces anywhere (except between lines). It used to be
done after full stops and certain other punctuation when using
non-proportional fonts like courier, but now that nearly everyone uses
justification process that publishers use. Therefore, I am always
expected to strip out such spaces. Incidentally, I find the search and
replace function in Word 2000 does not always do this faultlessly, and I
often have to manually tidy up. BTW, Suzanne, is there an editors'
newsgroup?

wrote in message ...
katnco wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I'm sure there must be Usenet NGs for editors somewhere, but not on this
server (msnews.microsoft.com), which is the only one I currently bother
with.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

I'll second everything said. As an editor I have never
seen a requirement for double spacing between words. It might be that

some
publishers would require two spaces after a period or colon (that's a

whole
nother ball of wax), but I strongly suspect that double-spaced lines are
what is required.

Word MVP FAQ site:
http://word.mvps.org

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

wrote in message

katnco wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

katnco via OfficeKB.com wrote:
SNIP.

Re the lack of initial research- I didn't start writing this book to get published- it was something I did for enjoyment and then decided I wanted to try and take further! And I am, of course- here I ahve done my research!- prepared for rejections. Such is life and you've gotta keep trying!
Thanks again all.

A pleasure Katnco. You'll quickly find that this is one of the most
friendly and productive newgroups there is. I've learned heaps from it
and still do.

The start of your book ('for enjoyment') is one of the best ways to
start. If you don't like the work it soon shows through. But bridging
the gap between that and a saleable product (all that the publisher is
interested in) is a big ask (and incidentally, involves the editor!).
Just remember that the publisher must have his eye on the P&L account,
and only 25 (!) hours in the day to read the shoals of stuff that lands
on his desk. (In fact he is too busy looking at the P&L to read *any* of
it - that's the professional reader's job). But best sellers do get
written every month. So don't give up but don't bet the farm on success
either.

How do I stop double spacing after hitting the return key? aubiepride Microsoft Word Help 33 May 7th 23 08:49 AM
Paragraph Spacing LGFN Page Layout 6 May 30th 06 01:16 AM
why a document double spaces even though it says single spacing Elizabeth Starkey Microsoft Word Help 1 November 11th 05 03:14 PM
Why isn't Word 2003 checking the spacing between words? fsmab2 Microsoft Word Help 1 September 13th 05 01:34 PM
How do I add double spacing beween words? Mcfadden Microsoft Word Help 2 November 28th 04 09:35 AM