Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Robert Lehrer Robert Lehrer is offline

Default Reducing Space Between Header and Text

Earlier today, I wrote the following:

I've completed writing a business letter that looks awkward because there is
too much space between the header and the text. The first line of text has
only the date on it. I tried moving it up by placing the cursor to the left
of the J in July. I can't move it up any more on the page.

Is my problem lie in the vertical length of my header? I tried setting my
margins for .25 inch on each side of the page, but to no avail.

What steps must I take to move the body of text higher on the page to be
closer to the header?

Thanks in advance.

Suzanne (MS Tech Support) wrote the following response:

"Four things to check on:

1. Top margin: This has nothing to do with where the header is, which is
determined by the header margin.

2. Spacing After applied to the header paragraph (Format | Paragraph).

3. Spacing Before applied to the date paragraph.

4. Center justification instead of Top (Layout tab of Page Setup)"

Unfortunately, none of these suggestions corrected the problem. I wonder
now if the vertical length of the header is too great and there's too many
unused lines in the header. If this is the case, how do I correct this? If
not, what other solutions can I try?
Thanks.

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Reducing Space Between Header and Text

If none of the previous suggestions worked, it's possible that the vertical length of the header is indeed too great. Here's what you can do to correct this:
  1. Double-click on the header to enter the header editing mode.
  2. Click on the "Header & Footer Tools" tab that appears.
  3. In the "Header & Footer" group, click on "Format Picture."
  4. In the "Format Picture" dialog box, click on the "Layout" tab.
  5. Under "Vertical Alignment," select "Top."
  6. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

This should move the header up and reduce the space between the header and the text. If this doesn't work, you can try adjusting the header margin. Here's how:
  1. Double-click on the header to enter the header editing mode.
  2. Click on the "Header & Footer Tools" tab that appears.
  3. In the "Header & Footer" group, click on "Page Margins."
  4. Select "Custom Margins."
  5. In the "Page Setup" dialog box, adjust the "Header" margin to a smaller value.
  6. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

This should also reduce the space between the header and the text. If neither of these solutions work, you can try adjusting the spacing before the date paragraph. Here's how:
  1. Click on the date paragraph to select it.
  2. Click on the "Home" tab.
  3. In the "Paragraph" group, click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner.
  4. In the "Paragraph" dialog box, adjust the "Spacing Before" value to a smaller number.
  5. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

This should move the text closer to the header. I hope one of these solutions works for you!
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Click on the Show/Hide (¶) button which will show you if there are empty
paragraphs in the Header.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Robert Lehrer" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You might want to look at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm for clarification about
the interaction of the header and top margins, but I think what you're
asking is whether there are empty paragraphs in the header that are pushing
the top margin down. If so, you can easily see these (represented by ¶) if
you display nonprinting characters (by pressing Ctrl+* or clicking the
Show/Hide ¶ button).

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Please do not post the same question separately to multiple newsgroups. I
have now discovered that you had already received the same response in the
other newsgroup to which you posted this question.