Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ander163 ander163 is offline

Default AddressLayout not working

In Word 2007, I have a Quick Parts entry defined for AddressLayout, just like
I've been using for years in Word 2003. However, the Insert Address function
from Outlook contacts, to insert a single address into a Word document, does
not follow this format until after I insert the AddressLayout quick part into
the document then delete it. Until I do that extra step, I only get the
default addresss block - without the Company and with the Country. Any help
would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In the QuickParts/Building Blocks organiser, have you put the AddressLayout
entry in the AutoText Gallery. That seems to do the trick here, assuming you
are using the Address Book function (which I had to put in the QAT).

Peter Jamieson

"ander163" wrote in message
In Word 2007, I have a Quick Parts entry defined for AddressLayout, just
like
I've been using for years in Word 2003. However, the Insert Address
function
from Outlook contacts, to insert a single address into a Word document,
does
not follow this format until after I insert the AddressLayout quick part
into
the document then delete it. Until I do that extra step, I only get the
default addresss block - without the Company and with the Country. Any
help
would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I was hoping that your answer would have resolved this problem which has
been taxing me also, however it doesn't - at least not all of the time. It
seems to work only for some addresses? Until I can get a handle on what the
problem might be I have been recommending the use of a macro to grab the
address from Outlook and format it as required. This is covered at
http://www.gmayor.com/Macrobutton.htm and is featured in the envelope
templates that can be downloaded from my web site, which do work in Word
2007.

"ander163" wrote in message
In Word 2007, I have a Quick Parts entry defined for AddressLayout,
just like
I've been using for years in Word 2003. However, the Insert Address
function
from Outlook contacts, to insert a single address into a Word
document, does
not follow this format until after I insert the AddressLayout quick
part into
the document then delete it. Until I do that extra step, I only get
the default addresss block - without the Company and with the
Country. Any help
would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Hi Graham,

Sorry to disappoint :-) Yes, I've only really dabbled with this in response
to this particular question - it sounds as if you've had a much more
thorough look.

If the AddressLayout approach seems to work sometimes, then I suppose it's
either
a. still intended to be there (i.e. it's there "by design" in Microsoft
jargon) but doesn't work as intended all the time - in which case I think
the OP should really submit a support request to set the wheels turning to
get it fixed.
b. or intended to be there but perhaps is intended to work differently from
how we imagine (I have no idea how, but perhaps again a support request
would lead to an answer)
c. or perhaps not intended to be there but there are vestigial remains, in
which case the likely effect of a support request would be to see the
feature removed altogether at some point.

What happens with the addresses that don't work - do they come in as they
appear in the Outlook contact dialog box, or in some other format
altogether? Is there a discernible common factor of any kind?

Peter Jamieson

"ander163" wrote in message
In Word 2007, I have a Quick Parts entry defined for AddressLayout,
just like
I've been using for years in Word 2003. However, the Insert Address
function
from Outlook contacts, to insert a single address into a Word
document, does
not follow this format until after I insert the AddressLayout quick
part into
the document then delete it. Until I do that extra step, I only get
the default addresss block - without the Company and with the
Country. Any help
would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I have been investigating further and think I may have got the measure of
this at last. It seems to work if you create the addresslayout in the
Building Blocks file, while Word remains open, but then if you close and
re-open Word (saving the building blocks file in the process) it no longer
works reliably. If instead of saving the entry in building blocks you save
it in normal.dotm (or move it via the building blocks organiser) then it
seems to remain working after you close and re-open Word.
I have tried a few times since to break it and it is holding so far.

I had already found that some of my macros wouldn't insert autotext entries
from building blocks but would from normal.dotm, which is what gave me the
idea to try it here.

All I need now is to be able to convince Word/Outlook that I live in Cyprus
and not the UK, so that it ignores Cyprus as a country and adds UK when
completing the addresses, but that has nothing to do with the problem in
hand.

"ander163" wrote in message
In Word 2007, I have a Quick Parts entry defined for AddressLayout,
just like
I've been using for years in Word 2003. However, the Insert
Address function
from Outlook contacts, to insert a single address into a Word
document, does
not follow this format until after I insert the AddressLayout quick
part into
the document then delete it. Until I do that extra step, I only
get the default addresss block - without the Company and with the
Country. Any help
would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ander163 ander163 is offline

It is truly amazing to me that the designers make it so hard to insert an
address from Outlook Contacts into a letter in Word. Take an address -
insert it into a letter. For me, this is one of the most used fuctions of
the word processor. Gone in Word 2007 is the short list of 10 or so most
recently used names - that was useful.

First the Address Book function is buried and has to be added to the Quick
Access Toolbar - but I admit that complaint is true of a majority of the Word
functions. Second, the formatting of the address block using fields is also
hidden (good job with your explanation, Graham) and not easily found in
Microsoft support materials. And now the formatting definition is only
followed "sometimes". I'm using Word, I'm not checking it for bugs or
deciphering how it works. My experience is that once you do insert the
Address_Layout quick part into the document, then delete it, all addresses
that are inserted will format following that definition. It seems to work in
new documents until Word is closed, so it is a one-time function each time
you re-start Word. Until then, addresses come across with only NAME, STREET,
CITY-State-ZIP, COUNTRY fields.

My Address_Layout Quick Part is defined as a QuickPart, not an AutoText,
because when I defined it as an Autotext initially it had no effect. Perhaps
the problem was not the definition as Autotext (instead of Quick Part), but
instead this other functional problem discussed herein.

Finally, Graham, I need to pick and insert many addresses from Outlook into
a document, so I cannot add a macro to the document to grab the Outlook
address, as elegant as your macro is. Instead, I think I would have to have
a macro that adds your macro, then execute your macro each place and time I
need to insert and address into the word document I am creating.

For example, the document says:

The foregoing was mailed this date to:

After which I have to insert between 1 and 5 (or more) names and address
blocks.

Thanks, all for confirming it was not just my comptuer, my system, and
new-user mistakes.

"ander163" wrote in message
In Word 2007, I have a Quick Parts entry defined for AddressLayout,
just like
I've been using for years in Word 2003. However, the Insert
Address function
from Outlook contacts, to insert a single address into a Word
document, does
not follow this format until after I insert the AddressLayout quick
part into
the document then delete it. Until I do that extra step, I only
get the default addresss block - without the Company and with the
Country. Any help
would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

ander163 wrote:
It is truly amazing to me that the designers make it so hard to
insert an address from Outlook Contacts into a letter in Word. Take
an address - insert it into a letter. For me, this is one of the
most used functions of the word processor. Gone in Word 2007 is the
short list of 10 or so most recently used names - that was useful.

Interestingly the short list of names is still attached to the address book
function that is part of the envelope tool.

First the Address Book function is buried and has to be added to the
Quick Access Toolbar - but I admit that complaint is true of a
majority of the Word functions.

I am pretty sure that it was never available by default in any previous
version. I seem to recall adding it to my own toolbars in earlier versions.
But you are right about it being buried in 2007.

Second, the formatting of the
address block using fields is also hidden (good job with your
explanation, Graham) and not easily found in Microsoft support
materials. And now the formatting definition is only followed
"sometimes". I'm using Word, I'm not checking it for bugs or
deciphering how it works. My experience is that once you do insert
the Address_Layout quick part into the document, then delete it, all
addresses that are inserted will format following that definition.
It seems to work in new documents until Word is closed, so it is a
one-time function each time you re-start Word. Until then, addresses
come across with only NAME, STREET, CITY-State-ZIP, COUNTRY fields.

If you add AddressLayout in the format

{PR_GIVEN_NAME PR_SURNAME
}{PR_COMPANY_NAME
}{PR_POSTAL_ADDRESS}

Copy the above to Word, select and press ALT+F3 then save it as an autotext
entry in normal.dotm - then make sure normal.dotm is saved when you close
Word it will hold over a restart.

My Address_Layout Quick Part is defined as a QuickPart, not an
AutoText, because when I defined it as an Autotext initially it had
no effect. Perhaps the problem was not the definition as Autotext
(instead of Quick Part), but instead this other functional problem
discussed herein.

It should be named AddressLayout, though if you tell me that Address_Layout
works I will accept that as another anomaly.

Finally, Graham, I need to pick and insert many addresses from
Outlook into a document, so I cannot add a macro to the document to
grab the Outlook address, as elegant as your macro is. Instead, I
think I would have to have a macro that adds your macro, then execute
your macro each place and time I need to insert and address into the
word document I am creating.

You could add the macro to your QAT and it will insert the address at the
cursor position. You can easily change how the macro formats the address
inserted.

For example, the document says:

The foregoing was mailed this date to:

After which I have to insert between 1 and 5 (or more) names and
address blocks.

Thanks, all for confirming it was not just my computer, my system, and
new-user mistakes.

It's a steep learning curve for all of us well versed in the old way of
doing things. I really don't know what Microsoft was thinking. However as
others have said, it does get easier with familiarity.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I am pretty sure that it was never available by default in any previous
version. I seem to recall adding it to my own toolbars in earlier
versions.

FWIW you have to back a long way to see the icon there by default - it
arrived AFAIK in Word 95 (when it started Schedule+) but was no longer a
default button in Word 97 - it's possible that this particular icon may have
been added or not depending on what was already installed when you set up
Word, but I don't remember anything like that.

ander163 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I may have been a little hasty. It now works from the insert address icon,
but it is still hit and miss from the envelope tool. Even Microsoft is vague
on the subject http://support.microsoft.com/kb/292127 though recognizes the
problem.

In practice, for business letters, I use templates for separate envelopes
and I add the addressee information to the letter and copy that to the
envelope tool. Both of these work, so I can live with the lack of the
envelope tool address function.

"ander163" wrote in message
In Word 2007, I have a Quick Parts entry defined for
AddressLayout, just like
I've been using for years in Word 2003. However, the Insert
Address function
from Outlook contacts, to insert a single address into a Word
document, does
not follow this format until after I insert the AddressLayout
quick part into
the document then delete it. Until I do that extra step, I only
get the default addresss block - without the Company and with the
Country. Any help
would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chip Barker Chip Barker is offline

Default Addresslayout not working with Word envelope/labelbutton

I had the exact same problem.

I formatted addresslayout the way I wanted and the envelope/label button in MS Word would not use the format I designated (Attn:, Co Name, etc.).

What finally worked for me was to delete "United States of America" from the business address of the contact.

When I did this, the addresslayout started working right.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/default.aspx?ref=ng

AddressLayout Bug in Word 2003 Joe McGuire Microsoft Word Help 3 September 22nd 06 06:09 AM
AddressLayout S. Berkhoel Microsoft Word Help 1 April 5th 06 06:43 AM
AddressLayout Joe McGuire Microsoft Word Help 2 July 21st 05 04:33 PM
AddressLayout Ian Wolfe New Users 6 May 10th 05 06:43 AM
AddressLayout Problem in Word 2002 AlSchultz Microsoft Word Help 0 December 8th 04 03:37 PM