Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Payatot

Default What are the Parts (components) and uses (applications) of Word

I know this is a generic question, but I can not seem to find the answer in
one place. It is a vague question but I am looking for the basic conponents
of MS Word ad their applications? Thanks Payato
--
"Better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you are not"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Payatot

Default What are the Parts (components) and uses (applications) of Wor

Actually it is not homework. i am in the military and trying to complete a
lesson plan on MS Word utilization. There are several examples but all are
different. I was hoping to get a consensus here or someone point me in the
riht direction. Payato
--

"Payatot" wrote in message
I know this is a generic question, but I can not seem to find the answer

in
one place. It is a vague question but I am looking for the basic

conponents
of MS Word ad their applications? Thanks Payato
--
"Better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you are not"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You're an instructor? I don't think you'll get much help here unless you can
define the question better. "Basic components" is pretty broad. Are you
talking about applets such as Microsoft Graph, WordArt, Equation Editor? Or
components of a document such as paragraphs and sections? Or features of
Word? Word commands?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

This sounds like a homework question. We don't do those.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Payatot" wrote in message
I know this is a generic question, but I can not seem to find the

answer
in
one place. It is a vague question but I am looking for the basic

conponents
of MS Word ad their applications? Thanks Payato
--
"Better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you are

not"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Payatot

I am writing a Standard Operationg Procedure (SOP) for utilizing MS Word.
Basically it is a checklist or cheat sheet. I know the subject is broad,
that is the way we usually receive our task until we provide a product then
we are clearer guidance.
This is the basic components we work with on a daily basis:
PARTS:
1. Creating and Editing Documents
2. Proofreading Documents
3. Formatting and Printing Documents
4. Advanced Formatting
USES:
1. enables you to save a Word document in HTML format

Payato

--

"Payatot" wrote in message
I know this is a generic question, but I can not seem to find the

answer
in
one place. It is a vague question but I am looking for the basic
conponents
of MS Word ad their applications? Thanks Payato
--
"Better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you are

not"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

1. Word is a very poor HTML editor. Don't use it for this.

2. See http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/index.html and
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/basic_formatting.htm and
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm and
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.

I think some basic components of Word a
1. Styles
2. Templates
3. Non-printing characters

--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You're an instructor? I don't think you'll get much help here unless you
can
define the question better. "Basic components" is pretty broad. Are you
talking about applets such as Microsoft Graph, WordArt, Equation Editor?
Or
components of a document such as paragraphs and sections? Or features of
Word? Word commands?

so
all may benefit.

"Payatot" wrote in message
I know this is a generic question, but I can not seem to find the

answer
in
one place. It is a vague question but I am looking for the basic
conponents
of MS Word ad their applications? Thanks Payato
--
"Better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you
are

not"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You might want to look at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm, which
would give you some ideas. Browsing around that site generally might give
you others. If you're trying to teach complete novices to use Word, then you
could point them to
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/conc...ion/index.html, but the
strongest weapon in your arsenal will be well-crafted templates that make it
easy for these users to do what you want them to do; that is, the templates
should have customized toolbars and menus that make it easy for them to
access the styles and features you want them to use and less easy to use
direct formatting and other less desirable features.

"Payatot" wrote in message
I know this is a generic question, but I can not seem to find the

answer
in
one place. It is a vague question but I am looking for the basic
conponents
of MS Word ad their applications? Thanks Payato
--
"Better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you

are
not"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Lest you read some conflict between my answer and that provided by Suzanne
Barnhill, I agree with what she is saying. You need to understand templates
and styles. If you create useful templates for your users, they do not need
as broad an understanding of Word as you will need in constructing those
templates.

Some basics to teach your users:
Format using styles - not using the Bold, Italic, numbering, etc. buttons on
the toolbars.
If you are going to repeat a document type, construct a template and use
that for new documents, not a copy of an old document.
Never use the toobar numbering or bullet buttons for anything that will be
edited or used by someone else!
Make frequent document saves and backups.

Look particularly at the section in Shauna Kelly's site on outline
numbering. I have a feeling you and your students/users will be needing this
section a lot. The method shown on that site is the only reliable way to
produce outline numbering.
--

"Payatot" wrote in message
I know this is a generic question, but I can not seem to find the

answer
in
one place. It is a vague question but I am looking for the basic
conponents
of MS Word ad their applications? Thanks Payato
--
"Better to be hated for who you are, than to be loved for who you
are

not"

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Payatot

Thanks, This helps get me started in the right direction. Since we are
restrained to formats dictated by the General Staff, templates are the way to
go. Thanks, again. Payato