Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pa_broon74 pa_broon74 is offline

Default Mail merge woes.

We are trying to do a mail merge. Its a wee bit difficult to explain
so please bear with me. Basically, we have a number of orders with
one
or more items contained there-in, those order numbers that have more
than one item are generated on a seperate mail merge document when
we'd prefer them to be on the same one.

For example:

Order 1 - 1 item - Order number is 001 (Only one mail merge
document
is created, but ---
Order 2 - 4 items - Order number is 002 but there are four rows with
the item details & order number, these appear separately over 4
merged
documents, we'd like one merge document for order number 2 showing
details of the four items.

There are about 80 odd orders but over 600 items. So instead of
having
80 merged documents we get 600, one for each seperate item.

I tell you what, if you can understand that, you'll have no trouble
solving it for me.

Got a headache now... :-)

Any help gratefully appreciated

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

The problem is not understanding your post, but that your post has no
question. What do you want help with, apart from the obvious observation,
that Word mailmerge is no way to send out invoices.

"pa_broon74" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This type of merge is not something Word can perform simply, however see How
to use mail merge to create a list sorted by category -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=294686

pa_broon74 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pa_broon74 pa_broon74 is offline

Like I said, if you could understand the post then you'd be able to
help.

To clarify -

For example:

Order 1 - 1 item - Order number is 001 (Only one mail merge
document
is created, but ---
Order 2 - 4 items - Order number is 002 but there are four rows with
the item details & order number, these appear separately over 4
merged
documents, we'd like one merge document for order number 2 showing
details of the four items.

Edit: How do we do it?

Thanks

On 27 Feb, 10:44, "Jezebel" wrote:
The problem is not understanding your post, but that your post has no
question. What do you want help with, apart from the obvious observation,
that Word mailmerge is no way to send out invoices.

"pa_broon74" wrote in message

oups.com...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Why on earth are you trying to do this with Word? Starting with a big
business and you're working your way down? If these orders are something
serious, stop ****ing around and use some software intended for the task.

ups.com...

On 27 Feb, 10:44, "Jezebel" wrote:
The problem is not understanding your post, but that your post has no
question. What do you want help with, apart from the obvious observation,
that Word mailmerge is no way to send out invoices.

"pa_broon74" wrote in message

oups.com...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pa_broon74 pa_broon74 is offline

Calm down dear.

Yup its big business alright, but were not generating invoices using
word, we're merely reporting on existing invoices (from our bespoke
project management package) that have already been sent. This is
something that has been requested by a customer, not sure how you run
your business (if you have one) but when a customer asks for something
in a certain format we tend to do our best to supply it.

In the meantime; take a chill pill. I was just asking.

On 27 Feb, 11:42, "Jezebel" wrote:
Why on earth are you trying to do this with Word? Starting with a big
business and you're working your way down? If these orders are something
serious, stop ****ing around and use some software intended for the task.

ups.com...

On 27 Feb, 10:44, "Jezebel" wrote:
The problem is not understanding your post, but that your post has no
question. What do you want help with, apart from the obvious observation,
that Word mailmerge is no way to send out invoices.

"pa_broon74" wrote in message

groups.com...

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pa_broon74 pa_broon74 is offline

Thanks Graham. I'll have a look. :-)

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

pa_broon74 wrote:
[...]

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Yup its big business alright, but were not generating invoices using
word, we're merely reporting on existing invoices (from our bespoke
project management package) that have already been sent. This is
something that has been requested by a customer, not sure how you run
your business (if you have one) but when a customer asks for something
in a certain format we tend to do our best to supply it.

The more ethical approach, when a customer asks for something silly, is to
say 'no'. You'll find 'ethical' in any dictionary.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cinda Cinda is offline

There are some other references you might want to consider on the Word
MVP FAQs site (http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/index.htm). I just
glanced at this one: How to suppress duplicate records during a mail
merge. There's also one that I've previously used for a merge where we
needed to include specific attachments with each merged email. I
modified some of the code and used the principals in "How to mail
merge to email with attachments". This actually allows VBA to do the
merge for you. Perhaps these suggestions could spark some ideas about
how to handle your specific situation.

Good luck!

Cinda

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On 2 Mar, 13:49, "Cinda" wrote:
There are some other references you might want to consider on the Word
MVP FAQs site (http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/index.htm). I just
glanced at this one: How to suppress duplicate records during a mail
merge. There's also one that I've previously used for a merge where we
needed to include specific attachments with each merged email. I
modified some of the code and used the principals in "How to mail
merge to email with attachments". This actually allows VBA to do the
merge for you. Perhaps these suggestions could spark some ideas about
how to handle your specific situation.

Good luck!

Cinda

Thanks for the help Cinda, I'm told they converted it to an access
database and did it from there, not sure of the details but it worked.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pa_broon74 pa_broon74 is offline

..

The more ethical approach, when a customer asks for something silly, is to
say 'no'. You'll find 'ethical' in any dictionary.

With that attitude its obvious you work for the government, you seem
to have nothing better to do than post unhelpful comments in random
google message boards. If you're not going to be helpful why bother
wasting your time at all??

The problem is solved, I dare say your ulcer will abate in time and
you can get some much needed beauty sleep. (Ok, I was extrapolating
there...)

margin woes Kim K Microsoft Word Help 1 December 20th 06 08:00 PM
Toolbar Woes Brenda Rueter New Users 1 May 10th 06 06:47 PM
Mail merge woes Peter in New Zealand New Users 5 November 10th 05 07:03 PM
Table woes Island Girl New Users 2 July 28th 05 07:49 PM
Mail Merge Woes with Office 2003 ajatgp Mailmerge 1 March 31st 05 06:02 PM