Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
PBJ PBJ is offline

Default CREATEDATE Field Not Updating with "Save As"

I'm on Word for Mac 2004. I have a CREATEDATE field that refuses to update
unless you right-click on it and select "Update Field," even if you do a
"Save As" under another name. I've tried just deleting the field and
reinserting it, but to no avail. I've tested the field several ways: By
manually changing my system date and doing a "Save As," and then simply doing
a "Save As" on two different workdays. I've tried using CREATEDATE both with
and without the MERGEFORMAT switch, and by saving the document as a template
and by saving it just as a document, and in both cases with the form
protected and then unprotected. Same result every time: the field updates if
you trigger it manually, but it won't trip in any other way.
Any ideas about this one, anyone? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
It's driving me to drink.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Unless things are different on a Mac, the CREATEDATE field should be
inserted into a template and then when a new document is created from that
template by using FileNew and selecting that template, the newdocument will
then display in that field, the date upon which that document was created.

If you want a field that updates when a document is saved, use a SAVEDATE
field instead.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"PBJ" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The only reason I could see for using Save As instead of Save would be to
get a new CreateDate, since the SaveDate would update in the original
document.

But it does not update to the saved date if that happens to be different
from the date on which the document was created.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
But a CreateDate field *will* update on a Save As; it just doesn't

update
automatically. F9 should update it, however.

newsgroup
so