Steffer

Default Translate a book, Swedish to English?

I need to translate a non-fiction book originally published in Sweden 40 +
years ago - for publication in the U.S. Am working from hard cover book (no
original art),and the text includes photos, and perhaps graphs./line
drawings. First thought to hire a translator till I saw other on options on
Web. I'd prefer to do it myself with software - but which one and what else
do I need? The author and family can proof for factual data as well as
consistency/continiuty. But haven't a clue as to whcih products will work
and also not break the bank! What else will I need beside software? I have
a PC and a scanner and know that the scanning will be time consuming.

I'm very excited about this project but really need some help with kicking
it off.

Any advice, etc. is greatly appreciated!

StefFoy

0
Helmut Weber

Hi,

if I were bilingual, absolutely fluent in two languages,

like this friend of mine who has throughout his entire life
of 55 years moved from Germany to the US and back every 5 years, and
had an American father and a German mother, and is brilliant anyway,

then I'd take the book,
hire a typist an dictate it to her in English.

I was working on machine translation for some years,
with a multi-multi-million dollars budget,
of which I wasn't in charge, of course.

Forget it, hocus pocus, as Jezebel said.

Helmut Weber
Jezebel

You need a translator, whatever you do. Unless your own Swedish is fluent.
Machine translation is still mostly hocus pocus. Here's your original post,
babel-fished to Russian and back --

4 to translate the book of non-.nebylitsy initially published in Sweden 40 +
Lethe ago - for the publication in THE USA. Am working from the difficult
book of cover (any initially art), and text not it vklyuayet fotoikh, and
possibly drawings graphs./line. The first thought in order to hire
translator to I saw another on the versions on the rod. 4 itself it would
prefer to make it with the means of programming - but one and 4? The author
and family can give the impenetrability for factual of data also as
consistency/continiuty. But do not have clue about products whcih to work
and also will not break bank! 4 near the means of programming? I have PC and
a scan unit and I know that scanning it will destroy time. 4 it is very
excited about this project but actually certain aid to kick it. All the
consultation, ETC is large appreciated!

Which is probably unacceptable unless you're a post-modernist or you write
speeches for George Bush.

"Steffer" wrote in message
[...]

Amedee Van Gasse

In , Jezebel told us an
interesting story. My reply to this story is at the bottom of this
message.

You need a translator, whatever you do. Unless your own Swedish is
fluent. Machine translation is still mostly hocus pocus. Here's your
original post, babel-fished to Russian and back --

*snip* babelfished text

Hey! You stole[0] my idea! ;-)

Which is probably unacceptable unless you're a post-modernist or you
write speeches for George Bush.

ROTFLOL
Didn't know you Merkians were allowed to laugh with Dubya - they can
put you in jail for that under the Patriot Act. :-p

[0] Everything I publish on the web is under the Creative Common
License, unless explicitly mentioned otherwise. That means it's
impossible to steal from me. ;-)

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.5.9
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?