Ausrobbo

Default updating links after rename

Using Office 95, we open an Excel workbook (with multiple sheets), then open
a Word document which has liked objects to the Excel workbook.
We then rename the Excel workbook (new file name into a new directory) and
the links on the Word document all update automatically.

This process does not seem to work in Office 2003. Only the (Excel) sheet
which is currently displayed has it's links updated in the Word document. The
rest of the links all still point to the original Excel location (& file
name).
We have tried selecting all sheets on the Excel Workbook without success.
Is there any way around this problem short of manually selecting every link
and then changing it's source??
Thanks
Graham Mayor

Links will only update if both files are open, however, you can force an
update either by selecting the field and pressing F9 or by the use of a
macro such as that at http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

Ausrobbo wrote:
Using Office 95, we open an Excel workbook (with multiple sheets),
then open a Word document which has liked objects to the Excel
workbook.
We then rename the Excel workbook (new file name into a new
directory) and the links on the Word document all update
automatically.

This process does not seem to work in Office 2003. Only the (Excel)
sheet which is currently displayed has it's links updated in the Word
document. The rest of the links all still point to the original Excel
location (& file name).
We have tried selecting all sheets on the Excel Workbook without
success.
Is there any way around this problem short of manually selecting
every link and then changing it's source??
Thanks

Ausrobbo

Thanks Graham - Just to clarify, the Excel Workbook has MULTIPLE sheets & I
do have both files open, but the problem is that the (Excel)source file's new
path & filename do not update in the Word document links - EXCEPT for the
Excel sheet that is CURRENTLY OPEN on screen, which DOES update correctly -
all other sheets do not update the new path\filename - even if I "select all
sheets" before renaming. So the end result is my Word document ends up with
some of the links pointing towards the renamed Excel file, and the remainder
still pointing towards the original Excel file location (which, by the way,
does still exist as we do a "Save As" to change the path & filename of the
original Excel file).
So the problem is really not that my links are not updating, they (some of
them anyway) are just not updating from the correct source file.
Any further thoughts will be appreciated.