Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pbscott pbscott is offline

Default Importing information from contacts to word

I would like to import details from my contacts list. ie. name to a
bookmark, address to a bookmark, fax to a bookmark etc. within word

asnd clues ould help,

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

It sounds like what you want is Mail Merge. You would use merge fields
instead of bookmarks in your Word document.

You can start your merge from Outlook by opening your Contacts view
and going to Tools/Mail Merge. Here's an article that will provide you
with some additional steps and information:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Office 2007 Preview Site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx
Office 2007 Community Articles/Tutorials:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...e_archive.mspx

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"pbscott" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to import details from my contacts list. ie. name to a
bookmark, address to a bookmark, fax to a bookmark etc. within word

asnd clues ould help,

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pbscott pbscott is offline

No I only want details in a single document, want the verious parts
placed in bookmarks, mainly the name and fax number
Beth Melton wrote:
It sounds like what you want is Mail Merge. You would use merge fields
instead of bookmarks in your Word document.

You can start your merge from Outlook by opening your Contacts view
and going to Tools/Mail Merge. Here's an article that will provide you
with some additional steps and information:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Office 2007 Preview Site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx
Office 2007 Community Articles/Tutorials:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...e_archive.mspx

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"pbscott" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to import details from my contacts list. ie. name to a
bookmark, address to a bookmark, fax to a bookmark etc. within word

asnd clues ould help,

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I'm still not exactly certain what you want exactly but if you want it
in a single document then use a Directory for your main document type.

I think you may be trying to create a form for a single Contact,
similar to a 'fill in the blanks' type of form or perhaps a Fax cover
sheet?? If that's the case what I would do is create your main
document and use your Contacts as the source. Then when you need to
create a Fax cover sheet (or whatever it is), use the "Mail Merge
Recipients" command on the Mail Merge toolbar and select the Contact
you want to use, and then merge to a new document.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Office 2007 Preview Site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx
Office 2007 Community Articles/Tutorials:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...e_archive.mspx

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

ups.com...

Beth Melton wrote:
It sounds like what you want is Mail Merge. You would use merge
fields
instead of bookmarks in your Word document.

You can start your merge from Outlook by opening your Contacts view
and going to Tools/Mail Merge. Here's an article that will provide
you
with some additional steps and information:

"pbscott" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to import details from my contacts list. ie. name to
bookmark, address to a bookmark, fax to a bookmark etc. within
word

asnd clues ould help,

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pbscott pbscott is offline

Thanks for the info, it has helped and have been able to use.

Is it possible though to put the fax number somewhere else within the
document, away from the Company name etc,.

Beth Melton wrote:
It sounds like what you want is Mail Merge. You would use merge
fields instead of bookmarks in your Word document.

You can start your merge from Outlook by opening your Contacts view
and going to Tools/Mail Merge. Here's an article that will provide
you with some additional steps and information:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Office 2007 Preview Site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx
Office 2007 Community Articles/Tutorials:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...e_archive.mspx

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"pbscott" wrote in message
ups.com...
I would like to import details from my contacts list. ie. name to a
bookmark, address to a bookmark, fax to a bookmark etc. within word

asnd clues ould help,

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Yes of course.If you look at the longer example to automate letters, then
you will see that the required fields are each extracted separately eg

strCompany = "{PR_COMPANY_NAME}"
strAddress = "PR_POSTAL_ADDRESS"
strSubject = ""
strFax = "PR_BUSINESS_FAX_NUMBER"
'Let the user choose the contact from Outlook
'And assign the required components to variables

strAddress = Application.GetAddress("", strAddress, _
False, 1, , , True, True)
If strAddress = "" Then
MsgBox "User cancelled or no address listed", , "Cancel"
Exit Sub
End If
strCompany = Application.GetAddress("", strCompany, _
False, 2, , , True, True)
strFax = Application.GetAddress("", strFax, _
False, 2, , , True, True)

You can extract as many or as few of the available fields as you want. You
can then write those variables at the cursor and you can place the cursor eg
by inserting bookmarks in the document and seeking the bookmark before
writing the content of the variable.

eg

Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:="CompanyName"
Selection.TypeText strCompany
Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToBookmark, Name:="FaxNo"
Selection.TypeText strFax

Beth Melton wrote:
It sounds like what you want is Mail Merge. You would use merge
fields instead of bookmarks in your Word document.

You can start your merge from Outlook by opening your Contacts view
and going to Tools/Mail Merge. Here's an article that will provide
you with some additional steps and information:

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Office 2007 Preview Site:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx
Office 2007 Community Articles/Tutorials:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...e_archive.mspx

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

ups.com...