Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Päivi Päivi is offline

Default Word-documents open in OpenOffice Writer instead of MS Word

Hi

Since I downloaded OpenOffice Writer to my computer, all Word-documents are
automaticly opened in Writer instead of MS Office Word. This is not what I
wanted. I want Word-documents be opened to Word, unless if I specificly
choose Writer instead. (I need Writer very rarely and I installed it only for
creating pdf-documents sometimes.) What should I do?

Päivi

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

OpenOffice seems a waste of disc space if you have just installed it to
create PDF files, when small utilities like PrimoPDF will also do it for
free?
How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening files
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm

Päivi wrote:
Hi

Since I downloaded OpenOffice Writer to my computer, all
Word-documents are automaticly opened in Writer instead of MS Office
Word. This is not what I wanted. I want Word-documents be opened to
Word, unless if I specificly choose Writer instead. (I need Writer
very rarely and I installed it only for creating pdf-documents
sometimes.) What should I do?

Päivi

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
foxcole foxcole is offline

"Päivi" wrote:

Since I downloaded OpenOffice Writer to my computer, all Word-documents are
automaticly opened in Writer instead of MS Office Word. This is not what I
wanted.

It might not be what you wanted, but it is what you told it to do. The
OpenOffice installation procedure specifically gives you a list of MS Office
file types to open in OOo. I don't like the fact that these are all selected
by default, so the user has to uncheck them to keep MS Office as the default
for those file types---but regardless, that option is presented to you up
front.

The OpenOffice help file offers another alternative but assumes that you're
running Windows:

Changing the Association of Microsoft Office Document Types
To change the association of Microsoft Office file name extensions to open
the files either in OpenOffice.org or in Microsoft Office, using Microsoft
Windows:
1.Exit OpenOffice.org and the OpenOffice.org Quickstarter.
2.Run the OpenOffice.org Setup program:
Click the Windows Start button, choose Control Panel, click Add or Remove
Programs, select the OpenOffice.org 2.1 entry, click Change.
3.In the OpenOffice.org Setup, check the Modify option and click Next until
you see the file types page.
4.Select or deselect the file types. Click OK and complete the
OpenOffice.org Setup program.

Running the installer in effect "repairs" the OpenOffice installation.

Graham Mayor wrote:
OpenOffice seems a waste of disc space if you have just installed it to
create PDF files, when small utilities like PrimoPDF will also do it for
free?

With all due apologies, Graham, isn't that a little uncalled for? It has
nothing to do with the question that was asked.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Päivi Päivi is offline

Default Päivi: Word is Viewer and OS is Vista

I forgot to mention, I don´t have actual Word, I have only Word Viewer. My
operating system is Windows Vista. It´s the Word Viewer I want to use when I
read Word-documents I´ve received.

I checked Open Office setup and opening word-files as default was NOT
selected. Strange!

Päivi

"Päivi" kirjoitti:

Hi

Since I downloaded OpenOffice Writer to my computer, all Word-documents are
automaticly opened in Writer instead of MS Office Word. This is not what I
wanted. I want Word-documents be opened to Word, unless if I specificly
choose Writer instead. (I need Writer very rarely and I installed it only for
creating pdf-documents sometimes.) What should I do?

Päivi

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
foxcole foxcole is offline

"Päivi" wrote:

I forgot to mention, I don´t have actual Word, I have only Word Viewer. My
operating system is Windows Vista. It´s the Word Viewer I want to use when I
read Word-documents I´ve received.

I checked Open Office setup and opening word-files as default was NOT
selected. Strange!

A little strange, but did you try changing the file association as noted?
You can select Word Viewer as the default program for .doc files.... you
don't have to have Word. You can choose h any program that works with the
..doc format.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_171_] Henk57[_171_] is offline

foxcole;2568096 Wrote:
"Päivi" wrote:
-
I forgot to mention, I don´t have actual Word, I have only Word
Viewer. My
operating system is Windows Vista. It´s the Word Viewer I want to
use when I
read Word-documents I´ve received.

I checked Open Office setup and opening word-files as default was NOT

selected. Strange!-

A little strange, but did you try changing the file association as
noted?
You can select Word Viewer as the default program for .doc files....
you
don't have to have Word. You can choose h any program that works with
the
..doc format.

This happens because you have selected OO as the default editor,
forcing OO to start-up when double-clicking .doc file. I am not sure
if I have the latest OO version here, but you can undo this setting in
my
version (2.3.0) by Tools/Options/Load/save/Microsoft Office - clear the
[L] and [S] boxes for Winword to OpenOffice.org Writer
HTH

--
Henk57