Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lost and Confused Lost and Confused is offline

Default Changing to Word 2007 as Default Program

I just bought and downloaded Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student Ed. for
$150. I cannot find any of the programs (Word, Excel, or Powerpoint) on my
C: drive after I've installed it and updated it with Service Pack 1 in order
for me to open a Microsoft Word doc. or docx. So I right click over a
document, click on "Open With", click on "Choose Default Program" (because if
I just try to open it, Vista will open with Notepad), and tried to find
Microsoft Word 2007 in "Other Programs" by clicking on the "Browse" button
but cannot find any of the Office suites in my C: drive. Can someone please
let me know why I can't find any of the programs I just bought and installed
in my computer?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you have installed Office correctly the file associations should be set
as part of the installation and the applications should have entries in the
Start Menu. By default the installation will put the program files in the
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12 folder and for Word the file in
question is Winword.exe.

Word 2007 would open any Word document format without the service pack.

Lost and Confused wrote:
I just bought and downloaded Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student
Ed. for $150. I cannot find any of the programs (Word, Excel, or
Powerpoint) on my C: drive after I've installed it and updated it
with Service Pack 1 in order for me to open a Microsoft Word doc. or
docx. So I right click over a document, click on "Open With", click
on "Choose Default Program" (because if I just try to open it, Vista
will open with Notepad), and tried to find Microsoft Word 2007 in
"Other Programs" by clicking on the "Browse" button but cannot find
any of the Office suites in my C: drive. Can someone please let me
know why I can't find any of the programs I just bought and installed
in my computer?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Lost and Confused[_2_] Lost and Confused[_2_] is offline

Thank you for your reply. I did finally figure that out but Vista kept not
recognizing the Winword.exe file when I'm trying to change a doc or docx
file to default into this program. Clicking Winword.exe or through the Start
menu works just fine and Word 2007 opens good and when I go to save, it does
save as a docx. file BUT when I go to reopen it, Winword kicks in and opens
the file and the file looks like a bunch of symbols. Winword.exe program just
will not show up on the Changing Default Program menu no matter how hard I
try.
I believe it might be because I had Office XP installed on Vista. Then I
uninstalled Office XP before installing Office 2007. There might have been
some associated file deleted along with deleting Office XP before installing
Office 2007. Anyway, I'm going to try uninstalling Office 2007, then install
Office XP, and then install Office 2007 without uninstalling Office XP to see
if that will work.
I'll let you guys know in case someone else might be having the same problem.