Default continually changing file name.

I am using Office 2003 Pro with Win XP Pro.
Several times when I save a new document it is assigned a strange name that
begins with ~ . This also happens when I edit an exsisting document.
What do I do so that it will continually ask me to name new documents and
will save the exsisting ones with the original filename.
Nobsy

Your documents will still be saved under the original name.

If you see the ~$ on windows explorer or desktop (depending on where you
save the file) should only be when you have the document open. You should
still be able to see the original file as well.
This is words way of keeping a temporary file of any changes you are doing
until you save & exit the document.

When you do save, it will save with the file name you gave it, without the ~$

"J" wrote:

I am using Office 2003 Pro with Win XP Pro.
Several times when I save a new document it is assigned a strange name that
begins with ~ . This also happens when I edit an exsisting document.
What do I do so that it will continually ask me to name new documents and
will save the exsisting ones with the original filename.

Charles Kenyon

You want to start using templates instead of documents as the basis for new
documents.
For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.

If you have a template in the proper folder and use File New (and possibly
click on "On my computer") you will get a dialog box listing potential
templates for your new document. You pick one and you get a new, unnamed
document which you can edit. When you save it, you will be asked to name it.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"J" wrote in message
I am using Office 2003 Pro with Win XP Pro.
Several times when I save a new document it is assigned a strange name
that
begins with ~ . This also happens when I edit an exsisting document.
What do I do so that it will continually ask me to name new documents and
will save the exsisting ones with the original filename.

Beth Melton

To add a bit of clarity, the ~$FileName temp file is called the owner
file which is used for locking the document and contains user info for
the individual who opened the file. It isn't a temp file that holds
document modifications.

It's used when you, or someone else, attempts to open a document and
if Word finds the owner file you'll encounter a message along the
lines of "File in use by User". Word obtains the user name from the
owner file.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"J" wrote:

I am using Office 2003 Pro with Win XP Pro.
Several times when I save a new document it is assigned a strange
name that
begins with ~ . This also happens when I edit an exsisting
document.
What do I do so that it will continually ask me to name new
documents and
will save the exsisting ones with the original filename.

I'm not sure you fully understand my question.

When I start Word I have a blank document. After I enter my data and click
on the save button on the bar sometimes it just saves the document as
~$xxxxx. This is on a new document that was never created. It will also
happen on exsisting documents. When I open the document sometime after its
been open the file name listed at the top of the screen will change.
The change will consist of ~$xxxx.

This is what I would like to know how to fix.
Thanks

"J" wrote:

I am using Office 2003 Pro with Win XP Pro.
Several times when I save a new document it is assigned a strange name that
begins with ~ . This also happens when I edit an exsisting document.
What do I do so that it will continually ask me to name new documents and
will save the exsisting ones with the original filename.

Beth Melton

That is a little different. If your document is getting saved with
such a file name then that makes me think your Save command has been
intercepted by a third-party utility but if it happens without you
actually saving the document I'm inclined to think it may be a macro
virus.

See if the issue occurs when you start Word using the /a switch. Go to
Start/Run and run:

winword /a

Note the space before the forward slash.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"J" wrote:

I am using Office 2003 Pro with Win XP Pro.
Several times when I save a new document it is assigned a strange
name that
begins with ~ . This also happens when I edit an exsisting
document.
What do I do so that it will continually ask me to name new
documents and
will save the exsisting ones with the original filename.

John Campbell

Beth et al

Please see my post of 3/17 and 3/18 together with the MVP responses. It is
the exact same issue as J's in this thread and also reported by a third party
in December. This leads me to believe that it is specific to some particulat
installation that we may have in common, or to a weird Word feature that we
are all inadvertently triggering. (I am also the same user who cannot access
these pages at the same computer that has this Word problem.)

"J" wrote:

I am using Office 2003 Pro with Win XP Pro.
Several times when I save a new document it is assigned a strange
name that
begins with ~ . This also happens when I edit an exsisting
document.
What do I do so that it will continually ask me to name new
documents and
will save the exsisting ones with the original filename.

John M Gagnon

I experienced the same problem when saving documents onto my network drive.
I was able to resolve this issue by using the "detect and repair" function
within Microsoft Word under the help menu. Hope this helps.