Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tipuana

Default Word to capitalise letter after 3 dashes and 2 spaces

I am transcribing evidence in question and answer format €“ that is a question
followed by 2 spaces, 3 dashes and 2 spaces followed by the reply. Would it
be possible for the first letter of the reply to be automatically
capitalised? When I typed in WordPerfect I had created a macro that went
through the document after I had typed it and converted the first letter of
the first word of the reply to upper case, but I have not been successful
when I tried to do that in Word. I would prefer if it did it automatically
as I type. Is that a possibility? Help appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Hi Tipuana

Tipuana wrote:
I am transcribing evidence in question and answer format €“ that is a question
followed by 2 spaces, 3 dashes and 2 spaces followed by the reply.

Looks rather oldish to my eyes (and I try never to use 2 consequtive
spaces, anyway :-)).

Would it
be possible for the first letter of the reply to be automatically
capitalised?

You can do that with search/replace (Edit | Replace):

You need to enable the 3rd option from the top in the window after
hitting "more", and then:

Search: --- (?)
[That's 2 spaces followed by your 3 dashes and two more spaces, followed
by a question mark in parathesis.]

Replace: empty
[Click into the replace area, but leave it empty and add a Formatting
through Format | Font | Caps.]

That will find all such occurences in your document and capitalize the
first letter afterwards, with the usual caveats about search/replace and
what it finds.

Post back if you want to turn this into a macro.

Greetings
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tipuana

Thanks, Robert. Regarding "oldish". I am in South Africa and we are a bit
"oldish" here - only just graduated from WP5.1 for DOS. I am not responsible
for the specifications of the layout - they also want 2 spaces after a full
stop (which I must admit I am rather partial to.)

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Tipuana

Tipuana wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robert M. Franz (RMF)

Tipuana wrote:
Thanks, Robert. Regarding "oldish". I am in South Africa and we are a bit
"oldish" here - only just graduated from WP5.1 for DOS.

OK, I guess _that_ would qualify for outdated software nowadays! :-)

I am not responsible for the specifications of the layout -

Beleive me, I *do* know that feeling ...

they also want 2 spaces after a full
stop (which I must admit I am rather partial to.)

Well, provided a text is formatted in a fixed-width font like Courier
New, I can see a reason for it. With any other font, it's like trusting
more in one's own typographical judgement than in the font designer's
.... ;-)

Glad it works for you, and greetinx from the same time zone (though a
lot to the north)
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS