Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
dslocum[_9_] dslocum[_9_] is offline

Default Normal.dotm

I have a customer running Word 2007 on Windows Server 2003 Standard
Edition and every time they try to save a new document they get the
following error:

This file is in use by another application or user.
(C:\...\Templates\Normal.dotm)

I've tried to delete Normal.dotm, tried to rename it, went into regedit
and renamed HKey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\12.0\w ord to
"wordOLD" and can't rename it or delete it and the remaning to worldOLD
didn't help either.

Any other ideas??????

thanks, denny

--
dslocum
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It appears you have an orphan lock file - see
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

dslocum wrote:
I have a customer running Word 2007 on Windows Server 2003 Standard
Edition and every time they try to save a new document they get the
following error:

This file is in use by another application or user.
(C:\...\Templates\Normal.dotm)

I've tried to delete Normal.dotm, tried to rename it, went into
regedit and renamed
HKey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\12.0\w ord to "wordOLD"
and can't rename it or delete it and the remaning to worldOLD didn't
help either.

Any other ideas??????

thanks, denny

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

PS. You will not be able to delete or rename if Word is running. Close Word
and Outlook and ensure there are no phantom instances of Word by pressing
CTRL+ALT+DEL and close any winword.exe processes that are open.

dslocum wrote:
I have a customer running Word 2007 on Windows Server 2003 Standard
Edition and every time they try to save a new document they get the
following error:

This file is in use by another application or user.
(C:\...\Templates\Normal.dotm)

I've tried to delete Normal.dotm, tried to rename it, went into
regedit and renamed
HKey_current_user\software\microsoft\office\12.0\w ord to "wordOLD"
and can't rename it or delete it and the remaning to worldOLD didn't
help either.

Any other ideas??????

thanks, denny

How to prevent changes to normal.dotm PeterHS Microsoft Word Help 5 April 17th 08 07:24 AM
Normal.dotm Sinclair Microsoft Word Help 10 January 8th 08 07:38 PM
Normal.dotm Rick Microsoft Word Help 1 August 30th 07 06:45 AM
Convert normal.dot in W2000 to normal.dotm in W2007 Why did I update Microsoft Word Help 3 August 8th 07 09:42 PM
Change Normal.dotm LTJ Microsoft Word Help 1 May 30th 07 03:52 PM