Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
trj27 trj27 is offline

Default Continuous section break adds new page...

A chapter in the book I'm writing has subheadings which need to be continuous
page breaks. When I insert a continuous page break, Word inserts a new page.

I tried changing the settings in "Word Options" to "Lay out footnotes like
Word 6.x", but that only made the problem worse.

The only way I've managed to fix the problem is to insert the continuous
section break in front of the first word at the top of the page. The problem
is that if I further edit the document and insert earlier material, it moves
all of the information following the continuous section break to a new page.
This creates split paragraphs.

Does anyone know a more reasonable solution to this problem?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

This sounds weird. Why do you need a section break before a sub-heading?
What has an obscure Footnote compatibility option got to do with the need
for the section breaks? Please explain what you are trying to achieve, Also
which version of Word and OS and are they fully patched up to date?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"trj27" wrote in message
A chapter in the book I'm writing has subheadings which need to be
continuous
page breaks. When I insert a continuous page break, Word inserts a new
page.

I tried changing the settings in "Word Options" to "Lay out footnotes like
Word 6.x", but that only made the problem worse.

The only way I've managed to fix the problem is to insert the continuous
section break in front of the first word at the top of the page. The
problem
is that if I further edit the document and insert earlier material, it
moves
all of the information following the continuous section break to a new
page.
This creates split paragraphs.

Does anyone know a more reasonable solution to this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
trj27 trj27 is offline

Thanks for your reply!

The fix re the footnote compatibility option was a suggestion I read on
another community page on this web site.

I'm running Word 2007 (12.0.6504.5000) SP2 MSO (12.0.6425.1000). I have XP
Professional 5.6.2600 SP3 Build 2600.

I'm trying to use continuous section breaks so that I can alter the header
information on various pages. For example, my chapter has three major
headings (hypothetically) A. Cats; B. Dogs; C. Birds. On every even page, I
want the header to Read: "Chapter 1." On every odd, page, I want the
appropriate subsection heading (either A, B, or C) to appear in the header. I
thoiught the way to do that was to do a section break, but I don't want the
text to start on a new page. When I insert the "Continuous Section Break,"
however, Word inserts a new page. I understood from another user's comment
that this has something to do with how Word deals with footnotes, i.e., it
doesn't like footnotes from a previous section to appear on the page with
another section, and this could be the cause of my problem.

Unfortunately, my "patch" fix is simply to insert the break (continuous) in
front of the first word that appears on the page. This is the only way I've
been able to avoid the problem. However, if I then insert a new paragraph at
the beginning of the doc, for example, it really screws up the formatting.

Any suggestions?

"trj27" wrote in message
A chapter in the book I'm writing has subheadings which need to be
continuous
page breaks. When I insert a continuous page break, Word inserts a new
page.

I tried changing the settings in "Word Options" to "Lay out footnotes like
Word 6.x", but that only made the problem worse.

The only way I've managed to fix the problem is to insert the continuous
section break in front of the first word at the top of the page. The
problem
is that if I further edit the document and insert earlier material, it
moves
all of the information following the continuous section break to a new
page.
This creates split paragraphs.

Does anyone know a more reasonable solution to this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

As far as I know there's no fix for the footnote-section break problem.
Fortunately, you don't need it, and you don't need nearly so many section
breaks because you can use regular page breaks (or include "page break
before" in style settings) when necessary. Use odd an even headers and
one style ref for the odd pages and another for the even.

See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm
for more information.

Pam

trj27 wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]

Does anyone know a more reasonable solution to this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
trj27 trj27 is offline

Pam,
Thanks for your response, but I don't believe you've understood the problem
because your solution doesn't work for me. I have different subsections in my
chapter and I want the heading for each subsection in the header. This is not
just the difference between even and odd pages. All the even pages are the
same. That part's easy. But, the odd pages are almost all different. Maybe I
just haven't understood your suggestion properly. I thought the only way to
get the headers to be different like that was to use section breaks.
Anyway, thanks for trying to help!

trj27 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

Did you read the StyleRef article? This clearly shows how you can capture
your Cats, Dogs, and Birds without the need for Section Breaks.
Using functions like StyleRef means that to get different Headers and/or
different Footers you DON'T need a section break.
Continuous Section breaks will not achieve what you are after anyway.
So long as you place a StyleRef field asigned to the appropriate style (for
Cat, Dog,and Bird) in to the Odd Page Header, then these will appear and
change in the Header of the page that sub-section starts/changes.
Hopefully because you wont need continuous section breaks, you wont have the
footnote bug you noticed.
On the style for Cat, Dog, Bird do you have "Page Break Before" as an
attribute? This will ensure at least that they always start on a new page,
not necessarily Odd page though.
Hope this helps
DeanH

trj27 wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Dean and Pam have given you the answers. Continuous section breaks will not
do what you need anyway. You would have to insert Section Break Next Page at
the end of the previous page and not a continuous break at the top of the
new page to make a new header. But that is totally unnecessary and Suzanne's
Tutorial gives all the information you need.

The combination of StyleRef in the Header with different First/Odd/Even
pages will do all that you need without resource to section breaks.

Terry

"trj27" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
trj27 trj27 is offline

Yes, I see how Dean and Pam were right! Thanks, everyone!!

I still haven't overcome one issue, though. In my "Heading 1" style, which I
insert into the header, it is autoformatted in the doc and includes the
outline letter of the section, i.e., "A. Dogs", "B. Cats", "C. Birds", etc.
When I use the StyleRef, It only includes "Dogs", "Cats", "Birds", etc. I've
tried all the switches, but they don't solve the issue. For example, when I
tell the field code to insert the paragraph number, it ONLY inserts "A" "B"
or "C". None of the switch options I see make it insert both the paragraph
number AND the actual title (Heading 1).

Thanks for your help with this!

"trj27" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

The \n switch should include the A. or B. proving they are inserted as part
of the Outline Heading Numbering and are not manually created.

Terry

"trj27" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
trj27 trj27 is offline

That's what I thought, but it doesn't. When I include the \n switch, it only
places the letter of Heading 1 in the header.

I did not manually create the outline numbering. It is autoformatted text.

Thanks for your help!

"trj27" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DeanH DeanH is offline

To have both the "number" and the text with StyleRef you will need two
StyleRef fields, one for the Number, with /n, and one for the text, no
switch. Dont forget to manually enter a space or whatever you want between
the fields.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"trj27" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
DGW DGW is offline

Hi,

I googled a formating problem I am having in Word 2007 (Vista Biz) and this
thread came up and I'm hoping it is still alive.

I'm not trying to do anything too complicate but lately, in a large &
growing thesis document, when I attempt to insert a Continous Section Break
or attempt to make columns in a page, it inserts a page break instead.

The same thing happen a few days ago and a reboot of the computer seemed to
do the trick but not this time.

Any thoughts?

David

"trj27" wrote in message
A chapter in the book I'm writing has subheadings which need to be
continuous
page breaks. When I insert a continuous page break, Word inserts a new
page.

I tried changing the settings in "Word Options" to "Lay out footnotes like
Word 6.x", but that only made the problem worse.

The only way I've managed to fix the problem is to insert the continuous
section break in front of the first word at the top of the page. The
problem
is that if I further edit the document and insert earlier material, it
moves
all of the information following the continuous section break to a new
page.
This creates split paragraphs.

Does anyone know a more reasonable solution to this problem?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Are you sure that Word is actually inserting a *page* break, and not a *next
page* section break?

You can usually work around this by changing the type of section after the
break has been inserted. To do that, on the Page Layout tab, click the
dialog launcher (the arrow on the bottom right) of the Page Setup group. On
the Layout tab, change "Section start" to "Continuous."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"trj27" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

See €śSection break causes an unexpected page break in Word€ť at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=292074 for an explanation and
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...panColumns.htm for a workaround.

http://word.mvps.org