Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
[email protected] watyer@gmail.com is offline

Default "Continuous" section break acting like "Next page"

I am having a similar problem, however I am NOT using footnotes on the pages with the multiple columns. I do have a footer, and am using line numbers.. We use this document template every year for multiple documents and always have this same problem with it. The recommended solution for formatting footnotes differently will not work since I am not using footnotes. Does the page numbering have anything to do with it?

-Michelle

On Monday, March 18, 2002 3:19:03 PM UTC-4, Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
This is bizarre.I'm working on a book: several sections, each with "Different first page" and "Different odd and even" layout. I have a long, narrow list of names that I want to put in two columns. No matter how I insert section breaks (either manually before and after the names or automatically by selecting the names and changing the number of columns) the list of names wants to start on a new page, even though there is room for a good chunk of the list below the subhead. Here's what I've checked:1. Both section breaks are definitely Continuous.2. Each name is in a separate Normal paragraph, none of them set to "Keep with next."3. The subhead preceding the list *is* formatted "Keep with next," yet it's staying on the previous page. The paragraph before it is not formatted "Keep with next."4. I tried clearing "Different first page" for the Continuous section in case that might make a difference.5. There is a footnote reference in the subhead. Removing this solves the problem, but I need the footnote; putting the reference somewhere in the middle of the heading doesn't help. Adding it to the first name puts the footnote in the first column (not acceptable).Luckily, I've been able to solve the problem by adding a "Note" as part of the document body text at the end of the list, and this workaround will suffice for this application, but I will still tend to regard this as a bug. --Suzanne S. BarnhillMicrosoft MVP (Word)Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USAWord MVP FAQ site: http://www.mvps.org/word

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you have selected "Different odd and even" and/or "Mirror margins" in the
Page Setup dialog box, and you are restarting the page number to 1 in the
following section, then Word may treat the section break as an Odd Page section
break, yes. However, this is not related to footnotes.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP