Joshua Salter Joshua Salter is offline
Junior Member

Default unwanted page breaks

When I insert a section break 'continuous' it changes to a page break. So I follow the 'help' instructions (page setup layout section start) but there is no option for 'continuous', only 'new page'; 'odd page'; or 'even page'. Yet the option 'continuous' is available at other times. What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

For some reason, Word doesn't allow a Continuous section break for that
particular section. Usually this is caused by "Mirror margins" and/or "Different
odd and even" being selected in the Page Setup dialog box. It may also be caused
by a restarted page number in the new section.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Joshua Salter" wrote in message ...

When I insert a section break 'continuous' it changes to a page break.
So I follow the 'help' instructions (page setup layout section
start) but there is no option for 'continuous', only 'new page'; 'odd
page'; or 'even page'. Yet the option 'continuous' is available at
other times. What am I doing wrong?

Joshua Salter Joshua Salter is offline
Junior Member

Thanks Stephan
I have checked this, and neither "mirror margins" nor "different odd and even" are selected. Also I don't think page numbers are the problem because I set them to start at 1 at the first page and they have presented no further problems.

I have tried repeatedly to delete the "section break New Page" and replace with "section break Continuous". In 'Normal' mode it looks fine, but as soon as I switch to 'page layout' the unwanted page break reappears.
When the curser is in a continuous section I can get the 'Continuous' option under 'page layout'. But this option disappears as soon as the section break reverts to 'new page'.
By the way, I am using Word 2000 SR-1.
Another thing is, I had a perfectly fine layout all done, and then needed to insert one small table into the document. That was also OK; this problem has only started happening when I had to go through the rest of the document following the inserted table, to fix up the layout that has been affected 'downstream' by the insertion of the table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom[_3_] View Post
For some reason, Word doesn't allow a Continuous section break for that
particular section. Usually this is caused by "Mirror margins" and/or "Different
odd and even" being selected in the Page Setup dialog box. It may also be caused
by a restarted page number in the new section.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Joshua Salter" wrote in message ...

When I insert a section break 'continuous' it changes to a page break.
So I follow the 'help' instructions (page setup layout section
start) but there is no option for 'continuous', only 'new page'; 'odd
page'; or 'even page'. Yet the option 'continuous' is available at
other times. What am I doing wrong?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Are you saying that the page number is set to start at 1 at the beginning of the
document (= at section 1) and nowhere else?

By the way, do you really need the continuous section?

--
[...]

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;493668']For some reason, Word doesn't allow a Continuous section break
for that
particular section. Usually this is caused by "Mirror margins" and/or
"Different
odd and even" being selected in the Page Setup dialog box. It may also
be caused
by a restarted page number in the new section.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

...-