Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cummings Cummings is offline

Default Word 2007 Header/Footer Issue on Multiple Pages

Good morning.

Working with a multiple page letter(2 - 3 pages, tops).

I want to show the letterhead on the first page, with a different header on
subsequent pages, but I want the footers to be the same.

Unfortunately, when I check "Different First Page", the footers are
different, and I cannot link them (the link to previous section box is grayed
out). And, when I don't check "Different First Page" the header is
(rightfully) messed up.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

JPC
--
JP Cummings

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As Graham says, you just have to make the Footer and First Page Footer the
same. For more, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm and
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm (and note that linkage
between headers/footers is only between headers/footers *of the same type*
in separate sections, not between headers/footers of different types in the
same section).

http://word.mvps.org

"Cummings" wrote in message
Good morning.

Working with a multiple page letter(2 - 3 pages, tops).

I want to show the letterhead on the first page, with a different header
on
subsequent pages, but I want the footers to be the same.

Unfortunately, when I check "Different First Page", the footers are
different, and I cannot link them (the link to previous section box is
grayed
out). And, when I don't check "Different First Page" the header is
(rightfully) messed up.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

JPC
--
JP Cummings

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cummings Cummings is offline

Thanks, but I don't want to have my people have to remember to do that.

Oh well.

JPC
--
JP Cummings

Cummings wrote:
Good morning.

Working with a multiple page letter(2 - 3 pages, tops).

I want to show the letterhead on the first page, with a different
header on subsequent pages, but I want the footers to be the same.

Unfortunately, when I check "Different First Page", the footers are
different, and I cannot link them (the link to previous section box
is grayed out). And, when I don't check "Different First Page" the
header is (rightfully) messed up.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

JPC

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

They don't "have to remember to do that" if you have set up the template
correctly to contain the desired headers/footers to begin with.

http://word.mvps.org

"Cummings" wrote in message
Good morning.

Working with a multiple page letter(2 - 3 pages, tops).

I want to show the letterhead on the first page, with a different
header
on
subsequent pages, but I want the footers to be the same.

Unfortunately, when I check "Different First Page", the footers are
different, and I cannot link them (the link to previous section box is
grayed
out). And, when I don't check "Different First Page" the header is
(rightfully) messed up.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

JPC
--
JP Cummings

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cummings Cummings is offline

Suzanne --

Thank you for replying, but as the footer changes from documetn to document,
they do. Which is why I was hoping that I could automaticaly make the second
page footer the same as the first while keeping the headers different.

Oh well.

Thanks again.

Jim
--
JP Cummings

"Cummings" wrote in message
Good morning.

Working with a multiple page letter(2 - 3 pages, tops).

I want to show the letterhead on the first page, with a different
header
on
subsequent pages, but I want the footers to be the same.

Unfortunately, when I check "Different First Page", the footers are
different, and I cannot link them (the link to previous section box is
grayed
out). And, when I don't check "Different First Page" the header is
(rightfully) messed up.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

JPC
--
JP Cummings

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You might be able to use a StyleRef field in the Footer to pick up the text
in the First Page Footer, but you'd need to use different styles for the two
footers; otherwise a { StyleRef "Footer" } would be self-referential.

You could also use a REF field (which, being in the footer, would update
automatically), but the problem there is that you'd have to bookmark the
text in the First Page Footer, and bookmarks are easily overwritten.

It seems to me that this is an application that cries out for a UserForm
(called by an AutoNew macro) for users to enter the desired text, which
would then be placed in the appropriate places. See
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

http://word.mvps.org

"Cummings" wrote in message
Good morning.

Working with a multiple page letter(2 - 3 pages, tops).

I want to show the letterhead on the first page, with a different
header
on
subsequent pages, but I want the footers to be the same.

Unfortunately, when I check "Different First Page", the footers are
different, and I cannot link them (the link to previous section box
is
grayed
out). And, when I don't check "Different First Page" the header is
(rightfully) messed up.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

JPC
--
JP Cummings

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cummings Cummings is offline

Suzanne --

OF COURSE!!!!

!@#$. I should have thought of that.

Thank you. Not quite as simple as I had hoped, but it'll definitely work
for the near future.

Thanks again.

Jim
--