Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
KNiP

Default Help! vertical alignment of text in table not working

Cannot get the text to center in a row vertically. I'm using Table Table
properties Cell Center. I've also tried using the Format Painter copying
the format from another section in the report where it worked just fine.

Any suggestions, previous experience with this?

Thanks!!
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Help! vertical alignment of text in table not working

Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble with the vertical alignment of text in your table. I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot this issue.

First, let's make sure that we're using the correct method to center the text vertically. In Microsoft Word, there are two ways to center text vertically in a table cell: using the "Center" option in the Table Properties dialog box, or using the "Align Center" button on the Table Tools Layout tab. Both methods should work, but let's try using the second method to see if it makes a difference.

Here's how to center text vertically using the "Align Center" button:
  1. Click inside the cell that you want to center the text in.
  2. Go to the Table Tools Layout tab.
  3. Click the "Align Center" button in the Alignment group.

If this doesn't work, there are a few other things we can try:
  1. Check the row height: If the row height is too small, the text may not be able to center vertically. Try increasing the row height by dragging the bottom border of the row downward.
  2. Check the font size: If the font size is too large, the text may not be able to center vertically. Try decreasing the font size to see if that helps.
  3. Check for merged cells: If the cell you're trying to center text in is part of a merged cell, the vertical alignment may not work as expected. Try unmerging the cells and see if that helps.

I hope these suggestions help you resolve the issue with vertical alignment of text in your table. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can do to assist you.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Are your paragraphs formatted with either spaces before or after them?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"KNiP" wrote in message
Cannot get the text to center in a row vertically. I'm using Table Table
properties Cell Center. I've also tried using the Format Painter
copying
the format from another section in the report where it worked just fine.

Any suggestions, previous experience with this?

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
KNiP

Doug, thanks for your response.

I don't see any spaces or added characters either prior to the row or inside
the row. I think I may have tried using the Format Painter first though,
before applying the centering using Table Properties. I wonder if the Format
Painter added some characters. Would you know how I could tell that? Also in
other table, I've noticed that adding graphics will move the text (once
centered) up within the row. I'm not going to mess with this much longer
though. Just irritates me. )

"KNiP" wrote in message
Cannot get the text to center in a row vertically. I'm using Table Table
properties Cell Center. I've also tried using the Format Painter
copying
the format from another section in the report where it worked just fine.

Any suggestions, previous experience with this?

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
KNiP

Thank you for clarifying. My apology for not understanding Doug.

Here is what happened:
Table 1: No graphics - the Space After showed 12 pt. When I highlighted the
row and changed the After pt to 0, it reduced the row size which is not what
I wanted. It is only after selecting the cell individually that I was able
to change the 12 pt to 1 pt and retain the row size.
Table 2: graphics - apparently the graphics are what pushes the text up. The
Space Before & After are both 0 pt. Graphics are merely circles and arrows
(using no fill).

Unless you also have a way to work with the graphics and still keep the
vertical centering, I will consider my post answered.

Thank you both very much!