stabilo

Default Heading fields in the Mark Index Entry window

When I open the Mark Index Entry window, I see two fields called Heading.
When I try these fields, I see in the indoex entry the code "/y". The help
mentions that this enables the use of yomi text for index entries.

Do you have an example how to use these two fields "Heading" ?

I'm using Word 2003 SP1

I don't see these fields in my Mark Index Entry dialog. Since Word's Help
("Field codes: XE (Index Entry) field") specifies that the \y switch "can be
used if you have at least one East Asian language enabled," I assume that
you have such a language enabled. Unless you are creating an index in that
language, however, the \y switch is irrelevant. FWIW, the purpose of the
switch is to "Specif[y] that the subsequent text defines the yomi (first
phonetic character for sorting indexes) for the index entry."

"stabilo" wrote in message
When I open the Mark Index Entry window, I see two fields called Heading.
When I try these fields, I see in the indoex entry the code "/y". The help
mentions that this enables the use of yomi text for index entries.

Do you have an example how to use these two fields "Heading" ?

I'm using Word 2003 SP1

Jay Freedman

stabilo wrote:
When I open the Mark Index Entry window, I see two fields called
Heading. When I try these fields, I see in the indoex entry the code
"/y". The help mentions that this enables the use of yomi text for
index entries.

Do you have an example how to use these two fields "Heading" ?

I'm using Word 2003 SP1

Do you have support for East Asian languages enabled in your copy of Word? I
don't see those fields in the dialog in my English-only Word 2003.

Yomi text is used for Japanese kanji, and isn't helpful for European
languages. See http://www.omniglot.com/writing/japanese_kanji.htm for a
description of kun yomi versus on yomi.

--
Regards,