Larry

Default curser moves text

When I move the curser toward text it moves the text out of the way, or the
curser jumps up a line so I can see better. This is driving me nuts,
espeically when it pushes text down to another page. Im sure there is a way
to turn off this cuser behavior, but I cant find it. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 07:31:53 -0700, "Larry"
wrote:

When I move the curser toward text it moves the text out of the way, or the
curser jumps up a line so I can see better. This is driving me nuts,
espeically when it pushes text down to another page. Im sure there is a way
to turn off this cuser behavior, but I cant find it. Can anyone help?
Thanks

How are you moving the cursor? If you're pressing the space bar, DON'T
DO THAT! Use the arrow keys, or the Page Up/Down keys or the Home and
End keys.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Opinicus

"Jay Freedman" wrote

wrote:

When I move the curser toward text it moves the text out
of the way, or the
curser jumps up a line so I can see better. This is
driving me nuts,
espeically when it pushes text down to another page. Im
sure there is a way
to turn off this cuser behavior, but I cant find it. Can
anyone help?

How are you moving the cursor? If you're pressing the
space bar, DON'T
DO THAT! Use the arrow keys, or the Page Up/Down keys or
the Home and
End keys.

That's a very ingenious diagnosis, Jay. But I still can't
figure out the part about the cursor jumping *up* a line.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Larry

No, im using a mouse. Its such an odd thing. When I type a line if I pause
the curser will move up a line like its getting out of the way. then when I
start to type it goes back to the right place. If its at the end of a page
then it pushes the text up and when I move the curser down or start to type
the text slides back into the right spot. Im sure its some sort of
"convenience" to make it easy to see the text by getting the curser out of
the way.
Thanks
Larry

"Opinicus" wrote:

"Jay Freedman" wrote

wrote:

When I move the curser toward text it moves the text out
of the way, or the
curser jumps up a line so I can see better. This is
driving me nuts,
espeically when it pushes text down to another page. Im
sure there is a way
to turn off this cuser behavior, but I cant find it. Can
anyone help?

How are you moving the cursor? If you're pressing the
space bar, DON'T
DO THAT! Use the arrow keys, or the Page Up/Down keys or
the Home and
End keys.

That's a very ingenious diagnosis, Jay. But I still can't
figure out the part about the cursor jumping *up* a line.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Larry

Im using a mouse, none of the keyboard. Let me see if I can describe it
better. When I pause in typing the curser will move up a line as though it
is allowing me to get a better look at the text. Then when I resume typing it
comes back to the right place. Im sure its something that is supposed to be a
convenience. When I am at the beginning of a new page the curser will still
move up, but now its going up to the previous page and that causes the text
to shift. When I resume typing the text comes back to the right place.
I hope thats clearer.
Thanks for your help.

"Opinicus" wrote:

"Jay Freedman" wrote

wrote:

When I move the curser toward text it moves the text out
of the way, or the
curser jumps up a line so I can see better. This is
driving me nuts,
espeically when it pushes text down to another page. Im
sure there is a way
to turn off this cuser behavior, but I cant find it. Can
anyone help?

How are you moving the cursor? If you're pressing the
space bar, DON'T
DO THAT! Use the arrow keys, or the Page Up/Down keys or
the Home and
End keys.

That's a very ingenious diagnosis, Jay. But I still can't
figure out the part about the cursor jumping *up* a line.

--
Bob

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Opinicus

"Larry" wrote

Im using a mouse, none of the keyboard. Let me see if I
can describe it
better. When I pause in typing the curser will move up a
line as though it
is allowing me to get a better look at the text. Then when
I resume typing it
comes back to the right place. Im sure its something that
is supposed to be a
convenience.

This is not a feature that I have ever seen in any version
of Word that I have ever used.

A couple of questions come to mind. Did this behavior start
recently or was it always like this? Could this behavior be
a feature of your mouse driver/software support?

--
Bob, who's been using Word since Windows 3.1

Kanyak's Doghouse
http://www.kanyak.com

Jay Freedman

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:48:49 +0300, "Opinicus"
wrote:

"Jay Freedman" wrote

wrote:

When I move the curser toward text it moves the text out
of the way, or the
curser jumps up a line so I can see better. This is
driving me nuts,
espeically when it pushes text down to another page. Im
sure there is a way
to turn off this cuser behavior, but I cant find it. Can
anyone help?

How are you moving the cursor? If you're pressing the
space bar, DON'T
DO THAT! Use the arrow keys, or the Page Up/Down keys or
the Home and
End keys.

That's a very ingenious diagnosis, Jay. But I still can't
figure out the part about the cursor jumping *up* a line.

OK, ingenious but wrong... ;-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Jay Freedman

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 21:44:31 +0300, "Opinicus"
wrote:

"Larry" wrote

Im using a mouse, none of the keyboard. Let me see if I
can describe it
better. When I pause in typing the curser will move up a
line as though it
is allowing me to get a better look at the text. Then when
I resume typing it
comes back to the right place. Im sure its something that
is supposed to be a
convenience.

This is not a feature that I have ever seen in any version
of Word that I have ever used.

A couple of questions come to mind. Did this behavior start
recently or was it always like this? Could this behavior be
a feature of your mouse driver/software support?

Agreed, I haven't seen this either.

I assume you know the difference between the mouse cursor (I-beam) and
the insertion point (flashing vertical bar) and that isn't what you're
referring to. In any case, that wouldn't cause the text to shift up
and down.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Larry

I do know the difference between curser and insert and Im convinced that it
has to be a setting. I know in wordperfect (if you will pardon the
expression) there is a setting asking whether you would like to have the
curser move out of the way when you type. But I cant find any sort of a
setting like that in Word.

It performs too consistantly to be a bug and I would be willing to uninstall
and reinstall but Im not convinced that it wont be there again. It has been
present for a long time, I honestly cant remember if it dates from the
original install. I simply wasnt typing enough to have it be a big hassle,
now it is.
Larry

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:48:49 +0300, "Opinicus"
wrote:

"Jay Freedman" wrote

wrote:

When I move the curser toward text it moves the text out
of the way, or the
curser jumps up a line so I can see better. This is
driving me nuts,
espeically when it pushes text down to another page. Im
sure there is a way
to turn off this cuser behavior, but I cant find it. Can
anyone help?

How are you moving the cursor? If you're pressing the
space bar, DON'T
DO THAT! Use the arrow keys, or the Page Up/Down keys or
the Home and
End keys.

That's a very ingenious diagnosis, Jay. But I still can't
figure out the part about the cursor jumping *up* a line.

OK, ingenious but wrong... ;-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

The cursor and the insertion point are the same thing. The mouse pointer is
something different, and there may well be a setting in your mouse software
(Control Panel | Mouse) to hide the pointer (not move it out of the way)
when typing, but that doesn't sound like the issue here. Is this a laptop?
Does it have a touchpad?

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:48:49 +0300, "Opinicus"
wrote:

"Jay Freedman" wrote

wrote:

When I move the curser toward text it moves the text out
of the way, or the
curser jumps up a line so I can see better. This is
driving me nuts,
espeically when it pushes text down to another page. Im
sure there is a way
to turn off this cuser behavior, but I cant find it. Can
anyone help?

How are you moving the cursor? If you're pressing the
space bar, DON'T
DO THAT! Use the arrow keys, or the Page Up/Down keys or
the Home and
End keys.

That's a very ingenious diagnosis, Jay. But I still can't
figure out the part about the cursor jumping *up* a line.

OK, ingenious but wrong... ;-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Larry

Yes, its a laptop with a touchpad.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:48:49 +0300, "Opinicus"
wrote:

"Jay Freedman" wrote

wrote:

When I move the curser toward text it moves the text out
of the way, or the
curser jumps up a line so I can see better. This is
driving me nuts,
espeically when it pushes text down to another page. Im
sure there is a way
to turn off this cuser behavior, but I cant find it. Can
anyone help?

How are you moving the cursor? If you're pressing the
space bar, DON'T
DO THAT! Use the arrow keys, or the Page Up/Down keys or
the Home and
End keys.

That's a very ingenious diagnosis, Jay. But I still can't
figure out the part about the cursor jumping *up* a line.

OK, ingenious but wrong... ;-)

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Jay Freedman

Hi Larry,

The point of Suzanne's question is this: When you type on a laptop,
your thumbs naturally rest on or near the touchpad. If the pad's
sensitivity is set too high, it can "see" unintended movements as
mouse pointer movements and clicks.

If the laptop has software for changing the pad's sensitivity, turn it
down as far as it will go and see if the problem stops. It may also be
possible to disable the touchpad and use an external mouse. Generally,
try to keep your hands as far from the touchpad as possible while
typing.

To be as explicit as I can be, there is no feature in Word that "moves
the cursor out of the way" or moves the display up and down as you
cross page boundaries. What you're seeing must have an external cause.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 19:48:49 +0300, "Opinicus"
wrote:

"Jay Freedman" wrote