Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pamjmac27 pamjmac27 is offline

Default blank lines between numbered items in a list

How can I change the default in the numbered lists so that it appears as
follows:

1. first line of info, followed by a blank line THEN

2. and the second line of info, followed by a blank line THEN

3. etc., etc.

I used to be able to put in the 1. and info, and manually add a blank line,
then click on numbered lists and 2. would appear - after setting that up, the
rest of the list would follow this format and a blank line would be inserted
between each number - this is no longer happening. I ALWAYS have a blank
line between numbers and it is incredibly annoying to have to keep looking up
and back-spacing and adding lines...WHY did this change - or more
importantly, how can I make it work the way I need it to?

Thanks in advance for any light anyone can shed on this!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Modify the paragraph format so that it has space after it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"pamjmac27" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pamjmac27 pamjmac27 is offline

Thanks for your reply - I always thought I had a pretty good command of
Word, but this is proving otherwise...if I change the paragraph format to
double-space, it double spaces everything...I don't want the text next to my
number double-spaced, only a blank space between numbers...perhaps I'm not
understanding, but I can't see anyway to modify the paragraph format to add a
line AFTER the paragraph - am I just missing this?

"pamjmac27" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pamjmac27 pamjmac27 is offline

Thanks also for your reply - once again, I'm feeling rather inept (not
something I'm used to feeling!) - I have tried adding the space before and
after the List style (as best as I could sort that out) - I can achieve the
spaces UNTIL I add automatic numbering...as soon as I have the numbers added
automatically it goes back to single-spacing between them. I can achieve the
desired spacing without numbers, but then I have to go back and select
Paragraph - Numbering for each new number. Seems as if I shouldn't have to
do this...and indeed didn't have to, until the last update was done...

"pamjmac27" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

How is it that you keep reading LINE for SPACE? Add a SPACE after the
paragraph
Format Paragraph Spacing After add about 12 points, more or less
according to your font size. This will put a gap (a SPACE) after the
paragraph and before the next paragraph.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Modify the paragraph format so that it has space after it.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"pamjmac27" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
pamjmac27 pamjmac27 is offline

Apparently I am a moron for misunderstanding.

I tried added SPACE after the paragraph (12 pts), which does not solve the
problem.

Therefore, I concede defeat to avoid angering people further.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

"pamjmac27" wrote in message
[...]

Emi Emi is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjmac27 View Post
Apparently I am a moron for misunderstanding.

I tried added SPACE after the paragraph (12 pts), which does not solve the
problem.

[/i][/color]
I find that I agree with the poster. He was writing one thing...it was being interpreted as something completely differently. I completely understand the poster as I have the same problem. I do have Windows Vista, so it is possible that may be my problem.
THIS REPRESENTS A BLANK LINE....THIS BLANK LINE WILL NOT APPEAR BETWEEN MY NUMBERED ITEMS...JUST LIKE THE SPACE BETWEEN TWO PARAGRAPHS
At any rate, I had a document that will not insert blank lines between each numbered item. I spent at least two hours on this document. It was ridiculous. It makes the numbered list very difficult to read with no lines between each item. The instructions given make no sense at all. Even so, I tried the suggestion by the Microsoft employee...they don't work for me in the document. I was at my wit's end on this. Word DID NOT USED TO BE THIS DIFFICULT!!!!

Thankfully, I did something that made the blank lines work....I want to publish my post because I don't think that those first answers were very polite, the person who answered appeared to not be reading what the poster was asked, and the answers were not sufficient to resolve the problem. We're all human...we all make mistakes. We just need a supportive website when things don't work as they should. Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Emi : December 14th 10 at 08:42 PM Reason: figured it out, finally
juliadesusa juliadesusa is offline
Junior Member

Well the problems of the lines between numbered item in a list is most common problem.First of all you have to make sure that the numbering is proper and the other thing is that please modify the paragraph formate in the right manner.