Tom M

Default can I recover a word file that was saved over using Save As

Anne Troy

No.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

Doug Robbins

Only if you have the "Always create backup copy" back checkec in
ToolsOptionsSave.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Art

Doug, how dose the always create backup copy work? I am assuming that
once I have completed with my document I will have the original and a backup.
Is this correct?

Lets say that I accidentally clicked on NO when I intended to click on YES
and when I open the document its missing half of what I just wrote. Will the
back up copy have the missing part?

Here is another question. How does the Save AutoRecover info Every: 10
minutes. Work? And if I had had this option set to every 2 minutes would it
of saved my information? If when I closed my document, it had just finished
doing a save.

Need clarification on these options.
Art.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

Only if you have the "Always create backup copy" back checkec in
ToolsOptionsSave.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Jay Freedman

For explanations, see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/AutomaticSave.htm and
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm.

In essence, the "Always create backup copy" stores a renamed copy of
the document *as it was at the time of the last save* -- this is *not*
what's usually meant by "backup". If you save, wipe out half of the
document, and save again, the "backup" will have the missing half. But
if you save, type 10 pages, and then close without saving again, those
10 pages are *gone* -- never to return. They simply never got written
to the disk.

The AutoRecover feature is another case of "less than meets the eye".
An AutoRecover file is automatically erased when you exit from Word
normally (File Exit or click the X button). It relies on the fact
that if Word crashes, it won't have a chance to erase the AutoRecover
file, which will be discovered the next time Word starts. Don't count
on it making up for your mistakes, because it won't even be there when
you need it.

One last thing to remember when you get that "oh s**t" feeling: as
long as you don't close the document, you can usually get back to
where you were by pressing Undo (Ctrl+Z) enough times. The worst thing
you can do is panic and close the document or close Word, because then
the Undo list in memory gets wiped out.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

Only if you have the "Always create backup copy" back checkec in
ToolsOptionsSave.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Tom M" Tom wrote in message

How to recover deleted text in Word from saved and closed file? Ben Microsoft Word Help 1 June 19th 05 03:26 PM
Macro help Kathryn Microsoft Word Help 22 May 12th 05 01:04 AM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
letters - ask/fillin Caroline H New Users 2 February 25th 05 09:19 PM