Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Cheryl is offline

Default Header page number starting on page 4, but need it to read page 1

I have a Word document that has a title and page numbering in the header. I
have Office 2003.

I had to add a 3 page letter to the front of my document, which has now
thrown off the numbering in the header. I'd like to change the header
starting on page 4 to read page 1 and then the rest of the document numbered
consecutively. I don't want the first 3 pages to show a header or numbers.

I've checked past threads and this link:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...rontMatter.htm

For the past 3 hours I've been working on these instructions and I can't get
what I want to work for me which has been frustrating. Please don't send me
to the above link. The instructions do not help me with the header numbering
starting with 1 on page 4. Can anyone help with better instructions? Thanks
so much.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scott M.[_2_] Scott M.[_2_] is offline

Go to page 3 and choose to insert a new section break starting at the next
page. Then on page 4 go into the header and uncheck the "Same as previous"
button, which will disconnect this new section's header from the previous
one. Now, if you insert a page number on page 4, it will begin from 1.

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Cheryl is offline

Default Header page number starting on page 4, but need it to read pag

Thank you Scott. That more or less did it, except at first I couldn't get rid
of the headers on the first 3 pages now known as section 1. When I deleted
the header info on section 1, it also deleted the header for the rest of the
document, section 2, even though I'd made sure the "same as previous" link
was inactive. I tried this about 3 times then all of a sudden the header was
gone from the first 3 pages and remained on the rest of the document. I
quickly saved it and its good now.

Thanks for the help!

Cheryl

"Cheryl" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Scott M.[_2_] Scott M.[_2_] is offline

Yeah, it's not the most intuitive way of handling it, but in the future I
would suggest you not do any header/footer info. until you are done with the
document. Then go through the document and insert the section breaks where
needed. Now, starting at the END of the document and working backwards go
to each of the section headers and turn off the "Same as previous" button.

Now, all your section headers/footers will be separated from the other
section headers/footers, so whatever you do in one section won't affect the
others.

PS - you have to turn off the "Same as previous" button for the headers of a
section but ALSO the footers of the same section if you want neither to pick
up info from the other sections.

-Scott