Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JRN125 in Mosul, Iraq

Default Insert image into a protected form field document?

Our department has recently decided to go to protected documents (locked form
fields) to prevent our auditors from goofing with the information in their
inspections. One problem I have is that they also need to have the ability
to insert images into the report at times. Is there a way to allow them this
without allowing them access to the unlocked/unprotected form?

Thanks.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Insert image into a protected form field document?

Yes, it is possible to allow users to insert images into a protected form field document without giving them access to the unprotected form. Here are the steps to do so:
  1. Open the protected form field document in Microsoft Word.
  2. Click on the "Developer" tab in the ribbon. If you don't see the "Developer" tab, go to "File" "Options" "Customize Ribbon" and check the box next to "Developer" in the right-hand column.
  3. Click on the "Design Mode" button in the "Controls" group.
  4. Click on the form field where you want to allow users to insert an image.
  5. Click on the "Properties" button in the "Controls" group.
  6. In the "Content Control Properties" dialog box, click on the "Locking" tab.
  7. Uncheck the box next to "Content control cannot be deleted" and "Contents cannot be edited".
  8. Click on the "OK" button to close the dialog box.
  9. Click on the "Design Mode" button again to turn it off.
  10. Right-click on the form field and select "Properties".
  11. In the "Properties" dialog box, click on the "Options" tab.
  12. Check the box next to "Allow users to edit data in this field".
  13. Click on the "OK" button to close the dialog box.
  14. Save the document.

Now, users will be able to insert an image into the form field by right-clicking on it and selecting "Picture" from the context menu. They will not be able to edit any other part of the document or delete the form field itself.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cooz

Hi JRN125,

The easiest way to do so is by putting section breaks in your document. You
can leave sections unprotected, where users can insert their images.

If the images need to be displayed next to the form fields however, this
won't do - but in this case perhaps you can experiment a little with Format |
Columns... and arrange the layout in such a way that the form fields are
displayed in one column, and the images in the other column.

Good luck,
Cooz
--
PS: If this is a satisfying answer to your question and you're logged in via
the Microsoft site, please click Yes to "Did this post answer the question?".

"JRN125 in Mosul, Iraq" wrote:

Our department has recently decided to go to protected documents (locked form
fields) to prevent our auditors from goofing with the information in their
inspections. One problem I have is that they also need to have the ability
to insert images into the report at times. Is there a way to allow them this
without allowing them access to the unlocked/unprotected form?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod

Hi JRN,

If they need 'images' of the documents, the auditors can capture them via
Alt-PrintScreen. If that's not enough, it'd probably be easy enough for them
to take a copy of the document and break the protection ...

Cheers

JRN125 in Mosul; "Iraq"
wrote in message ...
Our department has recently decided to go to protected documents (locked

form
fields) to prevent our auditors from goofing with the information in their
inspections. One problem I have is that they also need to have the

ability
to insert images into the report at times. Is there a way to allow them

this
without allowing them access to the unlocked/unprotected form?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JRN125 in Mosul, Iraq

Cooz,

Thanks for such a timely response to my question.

I do not need the images to be included beside the form fields. So it
sounds as if this should work. I am definitely not an expert here working
with this but seem to be the only person with a little 'know how' in my
department.

I wish I could just show you what it is I want because it is difficult for
me to put into words exactly what I need; however, I will try if you don't
mind....

I have already set up the Inspection Checklist and locked the document so
the only thing that can be ammended is the text form fields. At the end of
the document, I want the inspectors to be able to insert images as if the
document was not locked at all.

I am attempting to play with the section breaks but when I put in a section
break, and the lock the document, I can only go into the text form fields and
make inputs. It sounds to me as if the fix is easy, I'm just a little behind
in this...well, maybe a lot... At least I can learn something new here...

Thanks.

"JRN125 in Mosul, Iraq" wrote:

Our department has recently decided to go to protected documents (locked form
fields) to prevent our auditors from goofing with the information in their
inspections. One problem I have is that they also need to have the ability
to insert images into the report at times. Is there a way to allow them this
without allowing them access to the unlocked/unprotected form?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod

Hi JRN,

Ah, so you want the auditors to be able to add images to a form document!

The trick here is to protect only the section(s) with the formfields.

See under Tools|Protect Document|Forms|Sections.

Cheers

JRN125 in Mosul; "Iraq"