Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Default Copying a block of text that really isn't a block

Somebody showed me this trick a while back, but I didn't take notes.

I have what appears to be a block of text in a text-only file I want to
copy--but when you highlight it, you get a lot of blank spaces before and
after each line of text.

Does anybody know how to select only the portion that appears to be the
"block" for copying/pasting without all the extra spaces? TIA.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Luc Luc is offline

Eric,
Not sure what version you are using but if it is Word 2002/2003. When
pasting there should be a little icon beneath the pasted text, called paste
options, if you click on it you should be able to paste unformatted text.
Which will remove the formatting from the pasted text and remove the blank
spaces.

--
Luc Sanders
(MVP - PowerPoint)
Somebody showed me this trick a while back, but I didn't take notes.

I have what appears to be a block of text in a text-only file I want to
copy--but when you highlight it, you get a lot of blank spaces before and
after each line of text.

Does anybody know how to select only the portion that appears to be the
"block" for copying/pasting without all the extra spaces? TIA.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Thanks Luc...Sorry--I should clarify...

Let's say the page is 80 spaces wide. The "block" of text occupies spaces
#30-50 several lines long. There is extraneous information in spaces #1-10
and #70-80 on the same lines.

How do I *highlight* only the "block" that's in spaces #30-50 and not the
extraneous information and spaces? The co-worker who showed me this is long
gone, I'm kicking myself.

I'm using Word2003 btw. TIA again...

"Luc" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hold down the alt key as you drag and select with the mouse.

#30-50 several lines long. There is extraneous information in spaces #1-10
and #70-80 on the same lines.

How do I *highlight* only the "block" that's in spaces #30-50 and not the
extraneous information and spaces? The co-worker who showed me this is long
gone, I'm kicking myself.

I'm using Word2003 btw. TIA again...

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word