Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Furukabu

Default I don't want to see Word's default style.

I don't want to see all the styles that come with MSWORD. I want to use my
own styles but I have to wade through all the unneeded styles that come with
WORD. Is there a way to hide the style so only those I want to see will show
up when I hit style button?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Furukabu

I'm using Word 2000 and I don't want to use the default styles that Word
gives me. I want use only my own, but when I push the "styles" button, I have
to wade through Word's styles. Is there a way to hide the default styles so
only my own show?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What version of Word?

"Furukabu" wrote in message
I don't want to see all the styles that come with MSWORD. I want to use

my
own styles but I have to wade through all the unneeded styles that come

with
WORD. Is there a way to hide the style so only those I want to see will

show
up when I hit style button?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word 2000 doesn't give you as much control over style display as later
versions, but you can edit the Styles list somewhat. In Word 2000 and
earlier, the Styles list always displays "Styles in use," a category that
often bears little relation to what styles are actually in use. Go to Format
| Style and select "Styles in use" as the Category. Then select each style
you don't want to see displayed and press Delete. You can't really delete
any of Word's built-in styles, but they will be removed from the list (and
reset to their default Normal.dot formatting).

Note, however, that you will not be able to delete the following styles:

Normal
Default Paragraph Font
Heading 1
Heading 2
Heading 3
any other heading style that has been marked as being "in use"

The first five are always displayed by default; additional headings are
added as they are used and then cannot be removed. If you are sure you have
never intentionally used, say, Heading 4, check the AutoFormat As You Type
tab of Tools | AutoCorrect to make sure you have disabled "Define styles
based on my formatting," which is notorious for applying heading styles
(seemingly at random) to short lines of text that have been bolded or
italicized.

"Furukabu" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2000 and I don't want to use the default styles that Word
gives me. I want use only my own, but when I push the "styles" button, I

have
to wade through Word's styles. Is there a way to hide the default styles

so
only my own show?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What version of Word?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Furukabu" wrote in message
I don't want to see all the styles that come with MSWORD. I want to

use
my
own styles but I have to wade through all the unneeded styles that

come
with
WORD. Is there a way to hide the style so only those I want to see

will
show
up when I hit style button?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Furukabu

Thank you for the answer, Suzanne S. Barnhill. You solved my problem.

"Furukabu" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2000 and I don't want to use the default styles that Word
gives me. I want use only my own, but when I push the "styles" button, I

have
to wade through Word's styles. Is there a way to hide the default styles

so
only my own show?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What version of Word?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Furukabu" wrote in message
I don't want to see all the styles that come with MSWORD. I want to

use
my
own styles but I have to wade through all the unneeded styles that

come
with
WORD. Is there a way to hide the style so only those I want to see

will
show
up when I hit style button?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad I could help.

"Furukabu" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2000 and I don't want to use the default styles that

Word
gives me. I want use only my own, but when I push the "styles" button,

have
to wade through Word's styles. Is there a way to hide the default

styles
so
only my own show?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote: