Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sher M. Sher M. is offline

Default Complex TOX

Hi.

I've got a document that I'm reformatting and the page numbering is set up
kind of funky. I'm trying to avoid renumbering as it's a corporate manual
that is widely distributed and reformatting the page numbering would probably
mean redistributing it to the entire workforce.

The page numbering includes both numbers and letters. In other words, a
typical page number would be "CG-9" or "JD-84". I haven't been able to figure
out how to get the TOC to pull the letter part into it so it will
automatically update. I actually got the letter part in using a bookmark in
the footer and then calling that information into the TOC by inserting a REF
field before the page number. There was one small problem, it would update if
I only updated page numbers, but if I updated the entire field, the TOC would
delete the letter part of the page numbers.

I thought I might just create a TOC field and then add a /b switch, but the
doesen't add the bookmark to the TOC, it creates a TOC out of only those
bookmarks specified. Anyone have any ideas on how to accomodate this funky,
non-MSWord friendly page numbering format?

Thanks so much.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The TOC cannot include any part of a page number that is not produced by the
PAGE field, and the only way to get anything into the PAGE field other than
the page number is via the "Include chapter number" option. Sorry.

"Sher M." Sher wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

FWIW, you can use SEQ fields for numbering and have the TOC page
numbers include those numbers (by adding the \s switch to the TOC
field code). This won't help the OP, though, since you cannot
accomplish "CG" "numbers" with SEQ fields.

The general principle is described in the "Table of Contents special
page numbering" thread in the (archived)
microsoft.public.word.formattinglongdocs newsgroup. Below is my
response to that question, which was about adding "S" and "G" to
headings, headers, and TOC fields:

-----------
What you are trying to do can be accomplished with SEQ fields. Below,
I've typed the field codes of the fields used, together with their
field delimiters, { }. Note that in order to actually create a
field in Word, you would press Ctrl+F9 to insert the field delimiters
and then type the field codes as shown. To update an inserted field,
press F9. To toggle between showing field code and field results,
press Alt+F9.

The following example uses a SEQ field to add S, G "numbers," as well
as Arabic numbers for "ordinary" headings. Add the numbers to your
usual heading paragraphs; then the TOC will pick them up. To get the
chapter/page numbering in the page numbers of the TOC, add the \s
switch to the TOC field code.

For the glossary, use { SEQ test \r 7 \* ALPHABETIC }, and for the
summary, use { SEQ test \r 19 \* ALPHABETIC }. This creates G and S,
respectively.

If the rest of the document should be numbered, you can use SEQ fields
there too: For the first chapter, { SEQ test \r 1 } would produce
Arabic numbers starting at 1. For subsequent chapters, { SEQ test }
would continue that numbering sequence.

In order to create the chapter/page numbering in headers (footers),
insert a section break after the glossary and summary sections and
unlink headers (footers). Insert
{ SEQ test \c \* ALPHABETIC }-{ PAGE }
into the header (footer) of the section where the glossary and
summary chapters are located, and insert { SEQ test \c }-{ PAGE } for
the rest of headers (footers).

Display the field code for the TOC, and add \s "test" to it. In other
words, you'd have something like this: { TOC \o "1-3" \h \s "test" }.
Press F9 to update. If prompted, choose to update the entire table.

To restart the page numbering, use the Page Number Format dialog box
as usual.

Note that if you don't want the chapter/page numbering for the
"ordinary" chapters, that is, chapters other than the summary and
glossary ones, you would have to create a separate TOC (without the \s
switch) for them.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
The TOC cannot include any part of a page number that is not

produced by the
PAGE field, and the only way to get anything into the PAGE field

other than
the page number is via the "Include chapter number" option. Sorry.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.