Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
McGuinnP McGuinnP is offline

Default TOC Same Page Number - Not Reading Layout

I have the following TOC in a Word 2007 template: {TOC \f \h \z}
Field codes are set up in this format: {tc "1.1 Caption" \f C \L 1}

If I open the template from Windows Explorer by right clicking and selecting
Open, the TOC is fine. But if I double click on the template from WE (and
create a new Document1 based on the template), the TOC has the same page
number (3) for all pages. The first few TOC entries are correct, because
those field codes are, indeed, on Page 3. Tracked changes reveal that the
error begins on Page 4. If I update the TOC with F9, the issue is
corrected.

I read other Q/A's opening documents Reading Layout (2003) or Full
Screen Reading (2007). This doesn't seem to apply - "Open e-mail attachments
in Full Screen Reading view" is NOT checked in my Popular options. And the
issue is not occuring when documents are sent via email - they are being
opened from a network drive.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

This issue also occurred in the same templates before my recent upgrade from
Word 2003 to 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I can easily reproduce what you are describing. I believe updating the TOC
field will always be necessary when creating a new document from a template
containing a TOC (I don't remember how it used to work in older versions,
though).

An alternative to including the TOC in the template file is to create an
AutoText entry which users can insert as they need to add a TOC. Word will
prompt you to update the added TOC.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP