Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ArthurN ArthurN is offline

Default Hard carriage returns

Hi,
Please help, got lost.
I usually make A5 publications, which sometimes I have to process with
Concordance software, which in its turn makes quotes next to each word. Now,
I would like to make short quotes, equal to each line, instead of a sentence.
How can I insert hard carriage returns that would break the lines at a
margine break automatically, not manually.
Thanx in advance,
ArthurN
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm confused. You can either type continuously and let Word wrap your text
at the margin (or a paragraph indent), or you can insert a paragraph break
(Enter) or line break (Shift+Enter) to start a new paragraph or break the
line artificially without starting a new paragraph. Inserting a "hard
carriage return" (presumably Enter) and "breaking lines automatically" are
thus mutually exclusive. Can you describe a little better exactly what
you're trying to do?

If you're looking to convert this to a text file with line breaks, then you
need to save in that format.

"ArthurN" wrote in message
Hi,
Please help, got lost.
I usually make A5 publications, which sometimes I have to process with
Concordance software, which in its turn makes quotes next to each word.

Now,
I would like to make short quotes, equal to each line, instead of a

sentence.
How can I insert hard carriage returns that would break the lines at a
margine break automatically, not manually.
Thanx in advance,
ArthurN

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ArthurN ArthurN is offline

Thank you, Suzanne S. Barnhill, for a quick reply,
here's what I want:
Let's say, that's how a story looks:

Community Colleges, institutions of
higher education offering two-year
programs of general study or technical
or vocational training.

Lines wrapped at paper margins. Now whether I copy the text or save it in
plain text format (with or without line breaks LR/LF) it won't preserve the
original word wrapping. When I use the concordance software to get the word
from the first line, say "story" it would also quote the sentence cut at a
line break, but as lines are only wrapped at margins and don't actually have
any breaks the concordance software instead of quoting the first line only
would grab the whole sentence, which might be as long as a paragraph. Thus
this would also render line numbering in MS Word useless for the concordance
software.
So, what I would like to do is to make this "line wrapping" permanent,
insert some sort of carriage returns automatically, not by hand. Is there an
easy way to do that?
Thanx,
ArthurN
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ArthurN ArthurN is offline

Saving doc as a plain text files does preserves line breaks, unfortunately it
ignores those with pictures (and not picture/text wrapping works for that)
I'm not at all strong at VBA, but may be I could write some macro that would
walk from the beginning of the file, inserting manual line breaks, ignoring
those with usual breaks (^p), until it hits the end of the file.

That's what the macro builder records when I press end and shift+enter for
the manual break
Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdLine
Selection.TypeText Text:=Chr(11)

But I have no idea how to do the rest...
Regards,
ArthurN
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This seems to me like a problem that should be solved by the concordance
software, not left to you to figure out. Even with VBA I don't think it
would be easy to do, but if a VBA solution is acceptable, you'd do better to
post your question in one of the word.vba newsgroups.