Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] mr.sandog@gmail.com is offline

Default Documents opening in multiple instances, I want one instance

I recently upgraded from Word 97 to Word 2003. I have a feeling this
is an easy fix, so here goes.

Every time I open a new Word document (i.e. double clicking on an email
attachment, double clicking on a file in a folder), Word opens a new
instance of the application. What I was used to with Word 97 was new
documents opening in a new window, in the same instance of Word. I
want this functionality back.

Also, as an aside, when is Word going to get with the program and have
tabs for documents rather than making us deal with the stupid 'Window
- Arrange All'?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the View tab. Clear the
"Windows in taskbar" option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently upgraded from Word 97 to Word 2003. I have a feeling

this
is an easy fix, so here goes.

Every time I open a new Word document (i.e. double clicking on an

email
attachment, double clicking on a file in a folder), Word opens a new
instance of the application. What I was used to with Word 97 was

new
documents opening in a new window, in the same instance of Word. I
want this functionality back.

Also, as an aside, when is Word going to get with the program and

have
tabs for documents rather than making us deal with the stupid

'Window
- Arrange All'?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

And to confirm that only one instance of Word is running, use the
Windows Task Manager. Look at the Processes tab, where you'll see only
one occurrence of winword.exe.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
This is the new multiple document interface introuduced with Word

2002,
which makes more sense if you are using Windows XP. There is only

one
instance of Word running. To have all the windows in one apparent

instance,
see Stefan's reply.

wrote:
Update - and this is really bizarre.

Although there are four instances of Word open in the Task Bar,

when I
look under the "Window" menu in each instance, all 4 documents are
listed under each instance. Weird! I only want one instance -
help!!!

wrote:
I recently upgraded from Word 97 to Word 2003. I have a feeling

this
is an easy fix, so here goes.

Every time I open a new Word document (i.e. double clicking on an
email attachment, double clicking on a file in a folder), Word

opens
a new instance of the application. What I was used to with Word

97
was new documents opening in a new window, in the same instance

of
Word. I want this functionality back.

Also, as an aside, when is Word going to get with the program and
have tabs for documents rather than making us deal with the

stupid
'Window - Arrange All'?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] mr.sandog@gmail.com is offline

That worked, thanks a lot.

Now, are there tabs in Word 2003?

Stefan Blom wrote:
On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the View tab. Clear the
"Windows in taskbar" option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...
I recently upgraded from Word 97 to Word 2003. I have a feeling

this
is an easy fix, so here goes.

Every time I open a new Word document (i.e. double clicking on an

email
attachment, double clicking on a file in a folder), Word opens a new
instance of the application. What I was used to with Word 97 was

new
documents opening in a new window, in the same instance of Word. I
want this functionality back.

Also, as an aside, when is Word going to get with the program and

have
tabs for documents rather than making us deal with the stupid

'Window
- Arrange All'?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

What tabs? If you mean tab stops, look in Format | Tabs to set tab
stops for the currently selected paragraph(s). For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/SettingTabs.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

ups.com...

Stefan Blom wrote:
On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the View tab. Clear the
"Windows in taskbar" option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As Graham and Stefan have pointed out, there is only one instance running.
Beginning with Word 2000, Word uses a Single Document Interface instead of
the former Multiple Document Interface. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/SDIMDI.htm

ups.com...

wrote:
I recently upgraded from Word 97 to Word 2003. I have a feeling this
is an easy fix, so here goes.

Every time I open a new Word document (i.e. double clicking on an email
attachment, double clicking on a file in a folder), Word opens a new
instance of the application. What I was used to with Word 97 was new
documents opening in a new window, in the same instance of Word. I
want this functionality back.

Also, as an aside, when is Word going to get with the program and have
tabs for documents rather than making us deal with the stupid 'Window
- Arrange All'?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] mr.sandog@gmail.com is offline

No, what I mean is tabbed pages, like how Firefox and Opera browsers
display numerous web pages - with tabs at the top.

The way that Word makes you go under the "Window" menu to select other
documents that you have open is kind of ridiculous, considering this is
2006.

Stefan Blom wrote:
On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the View tab. Clear the
"Windows in taskbar" option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

Office is in dire need of tabs. I seriously expected Office 2007 to improve
on the window management aspects... it frustratingly has not. You're right--
it's 2006! Come on people!
The inconsistent use of MDI between apps (contrast Word's *real SDI* to
Excel and PowerPoint's *fake SDI* MDI confusing hybrid) is downright
horrendous. A nice tabbed interface would solve everything.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

oups.com...

Stefan Blom wrote:
On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the View tab. Clear the
"Windows in taskbar" option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] mr.sandog@gmail.com is offline

So I take it by your reply that tabs are not available. This is
stupid. MS is asking for someone to eat their lunch, and I hope
someone does, soon. I'm tired of waiting for the tanker to turn to get
what are very obvious, simple improvements in ubiquitious applications.

C. Moya wrote:
Office is in dire need of tabs. I seriously expected Office 2007 to improve
on the window management aspects... it frustratingly has not. You're right--
it's 2006! Come on people!
The inconsistent use of MDI between apps (contrast Word's *real SDI* to
Excel and PowerPoint's *fake SDI* MDI confusing hybrid) is downright
horrendous. A nice tabbed interface would solve everything.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

oups.com...

Stefan Blom wrote:
On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the View tab. Clear the
"Windows in taskbar" option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm not familiar with Opera or Firefox, but from your description it
seems as if the SDI interface, which allows you to click buttons for
the various document windows on the taskbar should work equally well.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

oups.com...

Stefan Blom wrote:
On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the View tab. Clear

the
"Windows in taskbar" option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

What are you grousing about? What is stopping you from forming you own
software company? After you take that first step you can have the helm
and steer your tanker on any course you desire.

C. Moya wrote:
Office is in dire need of tabs. I seriously expected Office 2007 to improve
on the window management aspects... it frustratingly has not. You're right--
it's 2006! Come on people!
The inconsistent use of MDI between apps (contrast Word's *real SDI* to
Excel and PowerPoint's *fake SDI* MDI confusing hybrid) is downright
horrendous. A nice tabbed interface would solve everything.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

oups.com...

Stefan Blom wrote:
On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the View tab. Clear the
"Windows in taskbar" option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

Note the OP said *ubiquitous applications.* I think it's perfectly allright
for us Office users and fans to gripe about the lack of real innovation
(once you get past the eye candy) in what is and always has been an
otherwise fantastic software suite.

Some of the bugs and neglected aspects in Office 2007 are simply
unforgivable at this point in time. It often seems like many of the things
were designed and/or coded by amatuers (IMHO). As the head developer at my
company I for one will be campaigning hard to convince the Systems admins to
not rollout Office 2007.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com
oups.com...

C. Moya wrote:
Office is in dire need of tabs. I seriously expected Office 2007 to
improve
on the window management aspects... it frustratingly has not. You're
right--
it's 2006! Come on people!
The inconsistent use of MDI between apps (contrast Word's *real SDI* to
Excel and PowerPoint's *fake SDI* MDI confusing hybrid) is downright
horrendous. A nice tabbed interface would solve everything.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

oups.com...

Stefan Blom wrote:
On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the View tab. Clear the
"Windows in taskbar" option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I was going to respond that some of the Office applications do use tabs.
Excel, OneNote, Visio all use them.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

oups.com...

C. Moya wrote:
Office is in dire need of tabs. I seriously expected Office 2007 to
improve
on the window management aspects... it frustratingly has not. You're
right--
it's 2006! Come on people!
The inconsistent use of MDI between apps (contrast Word's *real SDI* to
Excel and PowerPoint's *fake SDI* MDI confusing hybrid) is downright
horrendous. A nice tabbed interface would solve everything.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

oups.com...

Stefan Blom wrote:
On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the View tab. Clear the
"Windows in taskbar" option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

Not sure about OneNote... but all those use "subtabs" to show different
sections of the same document. It's not a "Tabbed Document Interface" where
each document is shown as a tab in the parent window.

FrontPage does use a Tabbed Document Interface. As does Access 2007 (with
'07 format databases I think). Visual Studio .NET also uses tabs. In
addition it also represents document "sections" (like Excel's multiple
worksheets) using buttons at the bottom of the window. In fact, Visual
Studio has one of the nicest interfaces I've ever seen (even if 2005 is on
the buggy side).

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com
"JoAnn Paules [MVP]" wrote in message
I was going to respond that some of the Office applications do use tabs.
Excel, OneNote, Visio all use them.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

~~~~~
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

oups.com...

C. Moya wrote:
Office is in dire need of tabs. I seriously expected Office 2007 to
improve
on the window management aspects... it frustratingly has not. You're
right--
it's 2006! Come on people!
The inconsistent use of MDI between apps (contrast Word's *real SDI*
Excel and PowerPoint's *fake SDI* MDI confusing hybrid) is downright
horrendous. A nice tabbed interface would solve everything.

--
-C. Moya
www.cmoya.com

oups.com...

Stefan Blom wrote:
On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the View tab. Clear the
"Windows in taskbar" option.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi all

[I don't feel any need for tabs showing individual documents. Not worth
the loss in screen real estate IMHO, and Alt-Tab is quick enough.]

C. Moya wrote:
FrontPage does use a Tabbed Document Interface. As does Access 2007 (with
'07 format databases I think). Visual Studio .NET also uses tabs. In
addition it also represents document "sections" (like Excel's multiple
worksheets) using buttons at the bottom of the window.

But _that_ approach I would like, using tabs in Word: say, in Normal
View only, getting one tab for each section. Navigating between them via
GoTo seems a lot more clumsy IMHO.

[The setting should be configurable, since it would make no sense at all
in a large merged letter, for instance :-)].

2cents
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
C. Moya C. Moya is offline

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote in message
[I don't feel any need for tabs showing individual documents. Not worth
the loss in screen real estate IMHO, and Alt-Tab is quick enough.]

No arguments here. TDI and SDI should be a choice. All I know is that
regular MDI is all kinds of confusing, unintuitive, and it died 10 years
ago. It's one of the worst UI window paradigms ever (not just my opinion...
but pretty much every UI expert).

But _that_ approach I would like, using tabs in Word: say, in Normal View
only, getting one tab for each section. Navigating between them via GoTo
seems a lot more clumsy IMHO.

It's funny you mention that... I remember Lotus WordPro (AmiPro's successor)
back in 1996 had just that very feature. (I used AmiPro in college). It was
awesome. Word's Document Map alleviates some pains... but it could ohhhh so
be improved upon if they had the inspiration to do it and put a little
effort.