Joanne

Default preventing clone files on desktop

i use office 2000 and word has been duplication files onto my desktop. They
often begin with a tilda (~) or $...how do i revent this from occuring?
Thanks Joanne
Anne Troy

You can turn off viewing hidden and system files. These are temporary files.
Word can create dozens of them while you work on a single document, but once
you close Word they should be gone. If you don't like seeing them, either
don't work on documents from your desktop, or hide hidden and system files
by doing the opposite of the instructions here (See "show file
extensions..."):
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/f...oft_office.htm

*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Joanne" wrote in message
news
i use office 2000 and word has been duplication files onto my desktop.

They
often begin with a tilda (~) or $...how do i revent this from occuring?
Thanks Joanne

Jay Freedman

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 15:31:10 -0700, Joanne
wrote:

i use office 2000 and word has been duplication files onto my desktop. They
often begin with a tilda (~) or $...how do i revent this from occuring?
Thanks Joanne

Those are Word's temporary files, explained at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211632. Word can't work without
them, and it can't put them anywhere except in the folder where the
document is stored. Normally, Word deletes them when it's closing
down; they may be left behind during a program crash. See
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm for cleanup
procedures. IMPORTANT: don't try to delete temp files while Word is
open (or Outlook, if it uses Word as the email editor) -- that could
cause data loss.

There are two possible solutions to their visibility on the desktop:
(1) ignore them and let them go away by themselves, or (2) don't store
any documents directly on the desktop. You can have shortcuts on the
desktop to documents that are in other folders, and then the temp
files will stay out of sight. To make a shortcut, right-click the
document's icon in Windows Explorer and choose Send To Desktop.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman