Shauna Kelly

Default Customizing styles

Hi Kuko

Two questions:
1. What version of Word are you using?

2. How do you want the heading itself to look? That is, how is the Descartes
heading within the text to be formatted? What style are you using (Heading
2?), and do you want it to be in italics or not?

Shauna

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Kuko" wrote in message

Hi. I'm wondering if I can customize styles so certain parts of the
phrase can have different font attributes. I want to create a table of
contents. The index style I like most includes a TD3 style which
writes the whole line in italics. I know I can customize TD3 so it is
in regular style, but what I want is to have Word put it like that:

1.1.1 (in regular chars) title (in italics).......(separator in
regular chars) page (in regular chars).

This is more or less what I'm trying to do. I do it now manually (by
italizing the title part of the index entry:

http://img321.imageshack.us/my.php?image=index1fx.png

Is there a way to get Word to do it automatically?

TIA

Shauna Kelly

Hi Kuko

Sorry, I can't see any way to achieve what you want. But maybe some else
will be able to figure out a way.

Cheers

Shauna

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Kuko" wrote in message
On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 10:53:22 +1000, "Shauna Kelly"
wrote:

Hi, Shauna

Two questions:
1. What version of Word are you using?

I'm using Word 2000 (version 9.0.6926 SP-3)

2. How do you want the heading itself to look? That is, how is the
Descartes
heading within the text to be formatted? What style are you using (Heading
2?), and do you want it to be in italics or not?

If you look at the image I linked to in my previous post, you'll see
two versions of that part of the index. The first one, which I marked
with the words "What Word does" is just that, I mean, what Word does
right now when I tell it to make the index. The style for that place
in the hierarchy of matters is called "TD3", and it puts ALL the line
in italics, as you can see in the image I linked to in my first post.
The second version, which is what I'm doing manually and which you can
see in the image under the name of "What I want", has in italics ONLY
the part of the entry which holds the name of that particular section
of the document, but it has in regular characters (instead of in
italics) the entry number (6.1 for Descartes and 6.2 for Leibniz), the
separator characters (........, etc.) and the number of the page (404
for Descartes and 406 for Leibniz in the image).

What I want Word to do and was asking here if that was possible is
to build the index the second way. I can edit the style named TD3 so
it puts all the parts of the index entry in regular characters, but
I'm wondering if I can edit it so it puts automatically every entry in
that level of the index hierarchy the second way (i.e, the number of
the entry, as well as the separator and the page number, in regular
character, then the subject on the entry in italic characters).

I hope you can understand me. Apologies for my bad english and thank
you for your interest.

Regards