Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
tomorrows_man tomorrows_man is offline

Default Merge Document Properties?

Is it possible to merge document properties? I am using Excel 2007 and Word
2007, and would like to be able to set the "Category" property of the merged
word documents via the merge itself using a column in my Excel range.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Well, you can update the value of some document properties using a field,
e.g.

{ KEYWORDS "set this to my keywords" }

or

{ INFO KEYWORDS "set this to my keywords" }

but
a. I think the merge output document will have the keywords value that
exists in the mail merge main document when you start the merge. The {
KEYWORDS } and { INFO KEYWORDS } fields will not survive
b. the Category property does not work that way (only a few of the
properties do) and no custom document properties work that way.
c. you would in any case need to decide which record's category should
determine the category of the output document.

So
d. I think you would need to use code to set the value in the output
document
e. if what you really want to do is merge to a new document then split the
document into sepparate letters/documents, each with its own category, you
might be able to adapt the approach described by Doug Robbins/Graham Mayor
at http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk