Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
HelpCheri HelpCheri is offline

Default Word FORM Date and text field is removed when document is merged

I have a Word Form document letter that contains date date fields. The form
works fine up until I merge with Excel. The fields I am mergeing do NOT
contain the form date fields. The form date fields are in the body of the
form letter. When I merge the Word Form document with Excel all the Date
fields all disappear. I also have drop down boxes on the Form and there is
no problem with them it is only with the Text Form Fields (both for the dates
and text)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

FormFields and Mail Merge are pretty much incompatible. The alternative is
to replace the mergefields in the mail merge main document with docvariable
fields and save the document as a template. Then use a macro to iterate
through the Excel data source, creating a new document from the template for
each record in the data source and setting the value of a variable in the
document to the value of each field in the record, then updating the fields
in the document so that the data is displayed in the docvariable fields and
saving the document and closing it, before going to the next record in the
data source and repeating the process.

Of course, if you do not need the formfields to be active after the mail
merge, but just need to retain the data that was entered into them, you
could use a macro to go through the mail merge main document and unlink each
of the formfields so that the data entered into it was ordinary text before
executing the merge.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.